Considering Roon But I'm Confused? Please Help

Don’t want to detract from the OP’s thread here but BS agreed with Brian’s (@brian) detailed post on this topic some time back. It’s believed to be not so much a ‘fault’ with BS, rather a failure to keep pace with (or, indeed, implement any) Roon changes. Now, I would argue that’s semantics, but there’s a variety of different viewpoints.

As @Chrislayeruk says, one unusual but helpful feature of BS for the OP is the ability to stream from the optical in. Might also be worth the OP looking at the Elac Discovery Z3 as another all in one speaker - again, posts on the forum. Not sure if it offers this same functionality or not…I don’t have one.

Since this thread, has Roon decided to support playing single CDs? I just bought an OPPO UDP-203 and I want to stream the music wirelessly.

David, why are you asking this in a separate thread? You already received an accurate answer in the lengthy thread that you created.

No, Roon does not play CDs. A Roon core manages and plays only streams and files, not discs. A Roon endpoint only receives network audio from a Roon core. That the OPPO UDPs are Roon endpoints, too, is irrelevant and unconnected to their disc playback capabilities.

AJ

Thank you, AJ. I am sorry I am not getting this as quickly as others here. I am not that tech savvy. Please forgive me. I have been reading everything from Roon. Some things I understand and others I do not. I saw this thread and it looks like that other people have had the same concern. O.K. I get it now. The OPPO is a Roon endpoint. But what good is it for a CD player to be a Roon endpoint? What capabilities does a Roon enabled CD player have? What good is it? I’m beginning to think I made a mistake purchasing the OPPO.

Hi David,

If you plug in your UDP-203 by Ethernet to your router then you should see an entry for it appear in Roon Settings/Audio as a Roon Ready network device.

You can then stream audio to your UDP-203 from your Roon Core by selecting the UDP-203 Zone using the Zone Picker.

Check back if that doesn’t get you working !

Edit: Shifted the above posts from the other thread. I see David is asking about streaming wirelessly from the UDP-203. My advice above is limited to getting music to the UDP-203.

If your UDP-203 is connected to an amp or even active speakers, you will be able to play music through it. Say for instance you have an AV amp in your living room that you have connect the UDP-203 to, you’ll have music streamed from your Roon library to your living room audio set up.

In some setups, it means fewer devices are needed. This is not the case in the setup you are proposing. Bluesound and some of the other wireless streaming speakers you are considering are already Roon endpoints.

I have a home theater setup… Denon receiver, amp, traditional speakers (not wireless streaming speakers), a CD/Bluray player that is not a Roon endpoint, and a PC acting as my Roon endpoint. The advantage for me in getting an OPPO 203/205 is that it could replace BOTH the PC and the Bluray player in my setup. Two devices in my equipment rack down to one.

Also, reiterating what others have said, the OPPO as an endpoint is meant to receive an audio stream from Roon, not send an audio stream.

1 Like

I assume if you do this, sound would have to be playing through the speaker physically connected to the CD player AND the additional speaker or speakers? Let’s say you have a Bluesound speaker in the bedroom and one in the living room. The CD player is connected via SPDIF to the Bluesound speaker in the bedroom. You could play a CD and hear audio from the bedroom speaker, or simultaneously in the bedroom and living room, but not just in the living room. True?

@David_Hunter, sorry if you answered this already… do you have a PC somewhere on your home network already that is always on?

Yes, at this point I plan on getting the SonicTransporter with 2 TB SSD hard drive. This will be my Roon core. This will be placed in my living room attached to my router via ethernet cable.
I also plan on having the OPPO in my bedroom, under my T.V., so I can watch DVD’s and listen to single CD’s. The OPPO will be plugged in the Pulse 2 speaker via optical out in my bedroom. There will be other Bluesound Pulse 2 speakers throughout the apartment. From what I understand, I can not use Roon to stream music from my OPPO to the rest of the speakers in my apartment. The only way to do this is to use the Bluesound app.

No. I only use a MacBook Pro and an iPad. If I got the SonicTransporter, this would be the home network that is always on. (I need to call Andrew one more time and ask about the 1U)

I found this comment on another thread. Yes, this is what is frustrating to me. The only way to play single CD’s and stream it through my apartment would be to load up and rip the CD in the SonicTransporter. Then when I’m done listening to the CD, I would have to erase it from my Roon core.

Why bother with ripping CD’s and which SSD, NAS etc. to get.

Get a Tidal subscription and add the CD’s you have and want in your library plus some more.
This saves you the hassle with making backups. Everything is in the cloud.
I would do that if I had to start all over again reripping all my CD’s

This is a great idea. I use Sync as my cloud backup and I have never had any issues with it. I would still need a Roon core so I think I will still get the SonicTransporter with 2TB SSD and use Sync to backup the Transporter.

What is the basis for going with 2tb ssd? Over hdd? Cost difference is significant, but if no object then it’s ok. There is no need for ssd to store music unless you want a totally silent system.

1 Like

Good point and a 2.5” HD is virtually silent. More silent than a CD drive.

That’s what I do. Tv is linked via optical to my Pulse 2 and if I sync the zones in BluOS I can hear TV in the kitchen.
I have a wired house but I assume the same is true with wireless.

I’ve had the ST AP (the version with 8 TB spinning hard drive) for over 2 years …never a problem.Of course I’ve have an 8TB external back up drive of all those files …just in case something goes wrong.

Chris, why didn’t you get the Pulse Soundbar for your TV? Apparently it’s Roon ready but not RAAT. I wonder if there would be a signal delay if I chose to get the Pulse Soundbar for my TV or if any other problems would happen streaming to the other Pulse 2’s around the apartment. I called Bluesound and I’m waiting to hear back.

The soundbar wasn’t available when I bought the Pulse 2. The Pulse replaced my dead Meridian F80 and is of similar size. The size is important in this setting.
This is in the conservatory for summer listening and the Pulse 2 is more than capable. Also Music is my main priority.

@David_Hunter if its Roon Ready it has to use RAAT that is one the features that gives endpoints the Roon Ready Status. No RAAT no Roon Ready status. All Bluesound products are Roon Ready and thus use RAAT. This is all on Roons site.

1 Like