Constant HDD Access on NAS Causing Roon Performance and Sleep Mode Issues (ref#OKP3JP)

Affected Product

Roon

Roon Issue Category

Installation or Setup

Description of Issue

I have a lifetime license from Roon. First I installed the Core on my PC. Then I worked for a few years with a ROCK system as the core and the audio data was on a NAS. Now I have a system where I also have the core (server) on my NAS, the audio data is also there. And that causes problems. The NAS is an Asustor AS5402T. The hardware is much more powerful and newer than in the old ROCK. The audio data is on 2 HDDs in a Raid 1 network with 16TB capacity. RAM is 16GB. An SSD with 500GB is also installed. The Roon Server was installed there. I use Christopher Rieke’s app. Unfortunately, this does not provide any answer or even support. He is silent.
My problem, when the server is installed and active, is constant access to the two HDDs of the NAS. Always. Even if no client, i.e. PC or smartphone app, is active. Yes, even if the registered monitored audio source is deactivated!
The HDD is accessed every 2-4 seconds. Unfortunately, this is audible and prevents the NAS from going into sleep mode, even if times are entered there.
Only if I deactivate the server app on the NAS (attention, do not uninstall) is it quiet! The log files don’t give me any information either. Unfortunately, I didn’t get any help in the forum. As I said, the Roon directory is stored on the NAS on an SSD.
What else can I do?

Roon Server Platform

Linux (NAS/SonicTransporter/Antipodes/Ubuntu/etc.)

Linux Server Type

Roon Server Specifications

Model Asustor AS5402T, 2 HDD a 16 TB in RAID 1, 16 GB Ram, SSD for Roon with 500GB

Connected Audio Devices

RME Fireface 400

Home Network Details

LAN 2,5 GB (NAS-Switch-PC) LAN 1GB (Switsch - Router) , Router AVM Fritz!Box 7590

Hello @Robert_Ostermeyer ,

Thank you for reaching out and for your report here.

Yes, this is the current behavior of Roon at this time, for a reason as to why this is the current behavior, please see the below thread:

I’ve filed a ticket with the product team to see if we can make improvements to this behavior, but I cannot make any promises on when/if these changes will occur.

Two comments: Why can’t this behavior be turned off optionally? Why does the Roon server software behave like this even if no directory was specified for the audio files? So there is simply nothing to monitor?

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.