Constantly having to restart Roon Core and Clear Image Cache

6/2: after a long weekend away and then everything rebooted up, had to clear image cache in Win 10 remote - no images.

@James_I Can you provide the makes and models of the Windows machines that have been showing no images? It doesnā€™t look like weā€™ve gotten that information from you, but it would be a big help.

Hi Kevin-

They are all custom built by me, with very standard Windows 10 configurations. Some are AMD and some are Intel but all at least 3.6 Ghz quad core with at least 500GB to 1TB SSD (or M.2) system drives. Two are hexacores. All have at least 16GB RAM.

If there is some spec you need to know specifically, let me know.

Because this is not specific to one machine, but rather happens across the board on 4-5 different Windows 10 remotes, all machines pretty modern, Iā€™m not thinking the issue is local to the remotes.

Thanks!

Thanks @James_I, itā€™d be helpful if you could provide the CPU model, GPU model (if dedicated GPU), and amount of RAM for the Windows remotes that are not showing images.

Hi Kevin-

To be clear, they do sometimes show images. The cache has to be cleared frequently however to get them back to showing images.

Here are the specs on the ones I can readily access right now (there is another whole set of machines at our second home, same symptoms, but Iā€™m not there to give you specs right now:

Jimā€™s desktop PC that serves as a remote control to the core:
ā€”Intel Core i5-10600K CPU, 6 cores at 4.1Ghz
ā€”16GB RAM
ā€”No mobo video; card #1 is a Nvidia GeForce GT 710, 2GB dedicated; card #2 is Nvidia FeForce GT 1030, 2GB dedicated (yes these are old and weak but I donā€™t gameā€¦they are there to support multiple monitors)

Jimā€™s video server hooked up to TV and secondary displays:
ā€”AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, quad core 3.7 Ghz, with Vega 11 graphics on motherboard;
ā€”16GB RAM
ā€”secondary video card Radeo HD5450 (as above, the video cards are weak, but I donā€™t game)

Storage Server that feeds another display:
ā€”AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 8 cores at 3.6 Ghz
ā€”16GB RAM
ā€”Nvidia GForce GT710 with 1GB (as above, I donā€™t game)

Also, the primary issue is with performance slowing down on the core and needing a software restart. Although getting the image cache thing working right would also be great.

6/3: had to clear image cache on the video server machine referenced above. Interestingly, after I did that, the images on my desktop PC then immediately disappeared. Although it could have been that the core just stopped serving the images. Then had to clear cache on the desktop.

6/4: sheesh, had to clear image cache 3 times today, once on video server and twice on the desktop

6/4: had to clear image cache on desktop 5 minutes after I just did it!

EDIT: and yet again. Gonna reboot the coreā€¦

EDIT: happened again. Definite persistent malfunction this evening. Must just listen to the music.

EDIT: as soon as I stopped worrying about it, it started working.

Hye @James_I
Do you listen to music from a local server (NAS) or from a Streaming Service (Tidal , Qobuz ā€¦) ?
Do you have the same issue with a LAN access to Albums or Playlists ?

Hi Najib, I listen to local files, Tidal, and Qobuz. I donā€™t have any trouble accessing those files other than when Roon slows down.

Hye @James_I
I used Windows OS in the past but changed it
because to much Viruses and Bugs
Tried Linux for a long pƩriode , excellent
And now I came back to My first Love MacOS
Microsoft is my worst souvenir
Sorry to say that , itā€™s just my personnal experience

Iā€™m sure youā€™re right. The thing for me is that some of the things I need my machines to do are windows only.

6/19/21: I continue to have to clear the image cache on my ā€œhomeā€ core and have had to reboot about every 48 hours to keep the core functional. I just gave up on logging every instance of these issues.

The notable point for today is Iā€™m not at home, not using my home core. Iā€™m using a similar Win10 setup at my other house and lo and behold, had to clear the image cache!

Itā€™s not my setup! Maybe itā€™s Win10. But itā€™s not something specific to my network!

1 Like

6/23: had to clear image cache on desktop remote. Also had to restart the core service yesterday.

I think it is fair to ask if something is going on with support, my original request for assistance having been posted 7 weeks ago.

As per another post, I do understand that Roon is probably feeling the same pinch in trying to hire qualified tech staff as everyone else is feeling. However it does not feel good to be paying a monthly subscription fee and not have any support. Somethingā€™s gotta giveā€¦

Hey @James_I, sorry to miss your replies here. :man_facepalming:

A grab bag of questions for you that I hope will help us to narrow things down. Sorry if this is a little overwhelming, but every bit of detail helps:

1. Do you use a VPN?
  2. You mention you have multiple cores, can you tell me more about your process for switching between them?
  3. Do you have the latest graphics drivers installed?
  4. Do you have any extensions enabled?
  5. Are you using the latest version of Windows?

Hi Kevin - no problem. However because these issues happen at independent locations and fairly standard gear, I am still taking the position that itā€™s not some quirk of my network or setup.

1. No
  2. I have one core at each house. When I leave the main house on Friday I close Roon and shut down the core. Then boot up the core when I get to the weekend house - it asks me to unauthorize the main house core, which I do, and then the weekend house core is active.
  3. The graphics drivers are reasonably updated. I have learned, in my 27 years of building and configuring my own machines (I have probably built 50 computers at this point, maybe even more) , one does not just update drivers if everything is working OK. I struggle to see how graphics drivers on the core would affect serving images, or frankly the sluggishness in serving audio that requires the restarts. However, these machines are reasonably updated tech generally and with reasonably updated if not current drivers.
  4. I use the web displays and I have a computer, not the core, that has an Elgato Stream Deck and the plugin is installed in Roon. But only at the main house, not the weekend house, and BTW these problems pre-date the install of the Stream Deck
  5. Windows 10, auto-update enabled

6/24: at the second house, Room simply kept requiring a cache reset on a remote - literally 30 seconds after I did a cache reset, it required another. It finally did go back to having album cover and artist images on the Win 10 remote.

Hey @James_I, thanks for the follow-up. Some more for you below:

You mentioned the CPUs for your remote devices, can you tell me the exact CPU model names for both of your Roon Cores?

This seems like a red flag. Please try (at least as a troubleshooting step) updating to the latest drivers for your graphics cards.

Shut them all down and remove the plugin from Roon.

Turn off the Elgato and remove the plugin from Roon.

Try with one monitor.

How do you keep them in sync? Do they share a database?

Letā€™s start with that and take it from there. Right now, Iā€™m trying to remove variables so we can narrow our focus and get this resolved for you. Youā€™re running Roon on a lot of machines in various configurations across two locations, so Iā€™m hoping to reduce some of the chatter and then pull a clean diagnostics report. Thanks!

For the record: I too do have issues with Roon remote feeezing, occasionally stuck in status ā€œInitializingā€, that is, unable to connect to the Core. One Core, one Zone, no upsampling or convolution .

ā€œClear cashā€ is the first thing I usually try and 70% of the time it works (which does not mean having to do so is not a nuisance!). This would be on average once per 2hrs listening session.

Less frequently I have to restart the Core. Twice lately I had to delete the very app from the iPhone and reinstall it. Why on earth should this help I have no clueā€¦

I attribute all of the above to my low speced Core (Antipodes EX)ā€¦

I backup from the main house and restore at the weekend house about once a month.

Let me work on the other stuff. I may instead first move the core to a new build that already has updated drivers etc. I donā€™t want to risk stability or have to make a lot of physical changes, but one way or another I will try a simplified and fully updated system and see how that responds.

EDIT: to be clear, when I said above I use the web display, I mean the internal display function that was implemented for chromecast. Not the plugin.