Constantly scanning now bug is back. Constantly spinning circle again

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Intel Core i7, 16 GB ram, 512GB ssd, Linux Mint 20 with 5.8 series kernel. Roon build 667

Music files on QNAP NAS TS-453A, 2 mirrored 4TB drives. Connected to core via smb.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Gigabit ethernet wired. TP-Link Archer D2 router

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

USB Dac on core. Various Pi endpoints wired and wireless

Description Of Issue

The spinning circle is back. It’s going constantly despite the message saying scan is complete.

This was happening regularly and I cured it by upgrading from a 5.4 series kernel to 5.8. All has been fine for a few weeks but now it’s back.

I rebooted to no effect. Any suggestions? Will a fix be coming with Roon 1.8?

The picture is not too clear but you can see the circle spinning away. Looking at the logs on the NAS there doesn’t seem to be much disk activity caused by this.

Hi @eclectic,

Have you added any new media recently? We haven’t seen any other reports of that same issue happening on newer kernel versions, so it may be an unrelated issue with scanning media.

Can you please do the following:

• Reboot your Core machine.
  • Start up Roon and let the spinner go for ~5 minutes.
  • Reboot your Core machine once more.
  • Start up Roon and let the spinner go for another ~5 minutes.

This should allow the team to gain some insight into what you’re experiencing in the report. Once you’ve done this let me know the timestamps and I’ll enable diagnostics on your account. When the diagnostics report is uploaded I’ll send it over to our team for analysis.

Thanks for getting back to me.

This time I shutdown the core and left it for 15 minutes (due to getting in a temper with it). When I rebooted the circle was gone.

Previously I was just rebooting immediately. The circle returned if I did this.

I did add one new CD yesterday, ripped and then stored on the NAS. This is the second or third incident of the spinning circle with the 5.8 kernel versions over the last few weeks but I can’t be certain if it was when I added new albums. I’ll keep an eye on it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.