Control app for Nvidia Shield TV

Same as JRiver for me , but Roon has never set out to do Video, they can hardly be criticized for not doing what they ever planned to do

If you want one size fits all JRiver and Plex maybe Kodi hold court

But none do what Roon does with metadata

Just a thought

Problem solved use the product that was designed to work on the TV interface, not change one thats not

LOL, This forum can be a bit strange. I want to use ROON. That’s why this is in the Feature Requests section.

It isn’t a request for video, or a criticism of the product as it stands today, or a request for a a solution that uses different software.

I think other people want this feature also.

I’m happy with people saying they don’t want a feature, but they really only need to say it once.

7 Likes

+1 there is an apple tv native app. Why no native andorid tv app? would make it a good multi channel endpoint.

2 Likes

No there isn’t. It’s not an official Roon app but made be a member of the community. It’s likely the only way you will get one for Android TV is for someone to develop one and use Roons API as the Apple one does.

@CrystalGipsy Good point. But, have you seen this on the ROON website. How Roon Works page: Roon apps on all your devices are used as remote controls for your Roon Core. :rofl:

Not sure what you trying to say here, it about the Roon app which it clearly says and then lists further down on what its available for.

You can install the free Roon app on as many devices as you want. It’s available for iPad, iPhone, Android tablet and phone, Mac, and Windows.

Simply saying - that’s not all my devices.

Although I’m able to reproduce the same outcome for Roon in my setup, as your case in the image, my AVR tells another story of which only 48kHz is being output, and not 44.1kHz.

You should check the output of your AVR to see what’s actually playing. It will be more than likely 48kHz as a result of the Android Audio Stack.

1 Like

The only thing is that it is very difficult to navigatie on the shield with Roon remote apk. Prefer a Roon remote for androidTV (shield)

When you use the USB audio output of the Shield, it mostly outputs 192K (though Netflix on mine is 48K). It even outputs DSD with a few software players.

Yes, through the use of UAPP, I have a Toppings D10s USB DAC attached, and I can get bit perfect audio through the use of Tidal, Qobuz, and local Hi Rez audio on my NAS. However, using Roon to stream via Chromecast, 48kHz is all you’ll get.

I would love a native roon control app for the shield. In my case Spotify is the streaming app of choice when just chucking on this or that, however for high quality and multi channel listening i always use either tidal or local sources. Roon is a beautiful solution for bringing these sources together however I can neither target the shield for playback or use it to control playback locally. Of course I can cast via Chromecast or sideload roon however in both cases it’s downsampled and does not support multi channel, so basically in my case roon is redundant in lieu of Spotify connect for remote playback, tidal directly via shield and Kodi directly via shield

2 Likes

Every time I get into a Roon trial, I sort of try remind myself why did I not buy a lifetime license yet. And then the very next moment when I search my Shield app store, I remember it is because Roon does not have native support for Shield! If I was to be content with Chromecast Streaming, I would simply use Spotify!
The day Roon has native support/certified the Shield, I am buying a lifetime license.

2 Likes

Sadly I don’t think this will happen, I am the owner of two Shield’s myself and a big fan of them.
Currently I use mine as a Chromecast display late at night, but never send music too it.

1 Like

Im a couple of days into my trial for Roon. I had just assumed there would be an android TV end point, it appears not.

So I have the Roon core installed on my PC in the spare bedroom. I want to be able to listen in the living room where my speakers are, I had planned on getting a shield for Plex anyway but see it does not function as an end point aside from casting.

All I want is the full screen Roon I get on my PC with core but in the living room. How are people doing this?? It seems so simple but clearly not. The control app on a phone or tablet is nice but I want the full screen on my TV.

Are people really paying for Roon to just stream to a “Roon ready box” and using their phone/tablet to control it and read all the lovely information Roon gives?

My only other thought it to buy a small x64 single board computer perhaps and just use that, seems overkill but I as I can see there is no other way?

What about if I get a Raspberry PI with ROCK on it? Can I simply plug a HDMI in to that and get fullscreen Roon on the TV?

Thanks,
Sean

1 Like

Exact same thoughts as you, Sean. No, you cannot do what you want to do with Roon. Oddly, you can cast to the Shield and then you have the PC interface on your TV, but the audio quality is mucked with.

I just gave up and have a NUC with ROCK on it, sitting next to my Shield, and use a tablet as the interface. Pretty dumb not to have a TV interface when Plex has a pretty good one (and for free), but that’s just something you need to live with if you want to use Roon.

If Plex and the Shield could work through the audio limitations (no multi-channel, bypass the Android resample everything below 24/96 to 16/48), I would still be using Plex and not paying the very high costs for Roon.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s by far the best way to experience it. The in-depth features like focus just won’t work on the TV interface with a remote, search would be horrible. I’ve tried all the apps on my shield and TV they are all dreadful experience. If you only use playlists or their suggestions then I guess the limitations would be ok but exploring a big library and Roons powerful tools would be just wasted. I have Plex and it’s bad enough navigating my largish video library via the TV music easier on the phone or laptop.

1 Like

I was thinking along the lines of mouse and keyboard with Android app rather than using a remote. I agree a remote would not be nice.

I think a single board computer (passive if possible) with windows on it would be the easiest/cheapest solution can just connect a dac straight to it then.

Well, a year and half since I last posted in Aug 2020. I hope no one else is holding their breath for a response from Roon, let alone this feature to be added. Hope my subscription money is going to something others can use.

1 Like