Control app for Nvidia Shield TV

Wait…ALL the apps on your Shield are a dreadful experience? Disney+? Netflix? YouTube? I use Tidal, YouTube Music, Plex, etc and they all work just fine for playing songs, skipping etc. You have voice search using Google Assistant…why would search be terrible? It works great in apps that support it.

Point being…sometimes I sit down with my iPad or Android phone or Chromebook and control my NUC for deeper listening or research, but sometimes I’d just like to have Roon up on the big screen to display album art (which it also doesn’t do very well sadly, but that’s another story) and be able to have my Shield be the controller. I think you are dramatically overstating how dreadful this would be. By a lot.

2 Likes

It’s a good point…you can use a mouse and keyboard just fine with Shield. It really should not have been necessary for me to buy a NUC for Roon, but I sucked it up and just did it. It sits next to one of my SHield Pros. :-/

1 Like

Hi, still waiting for this control app since Apr 2020 - keep asking everybody and importantly vote at the top of the thread.

2 Likes

Just passed the 2 year anniversary.

3 Likes

I mentioned this a couple of weeks ago in the thread with the new community manager. Shockingly, there was no response, but I too would appreciate this.

3 Likes

roonlabs - there is still customer interest in adding this feature.

3 Likes

Yes, this app is the one thing I’m missing for my Roon system to be complete!

1 Like

@Jay_Brown yes, I was also “fooled” by Roon’s Signal Path into thinking that it enables my Shield to play in 192 to AVR.

After checking the AVR’s Audio/Video details, I realized it’s only in PCM 48.

It seems like we need something like the UAPP app mentioned in this thread to bypass the Android limitation, and then have Roon integrate with that app.

Personally, I think the chances that Roon will do this is low, given how lack of responses they are on other requests. Especially when latest update it seems they are spending more time on developing car interface.

In any case, I am still writing here to make it known that Nvidia Shield is a piece of fantastic hardware with Atmos and multichannel support, and if Roon can support it directly, it would mean not having to buy additional endpoints.

I strongly agree with this thread.

Or ROON could actually just add Anthem support for my AVR MRX540 which is ‘Coming Soon’ for 2 years, then I wouldnt need to use the shield haha.

Sadly it’s Anthem who needs to add Roon support not Roon who needs to add Anthem support.

As the owner of multiple Shield’s it would be good to have something, but I am not expecting anything to happen.

1 Like

FWIW, I added my vote for a native Shield or ATV app. The Shield remote acts like a mouse so I could see something along the lines of the PC interface. The remote works fine for Youtube so something similar would work better than the work around of using the Roon Android app. When using Chromecast I really miss having remote volume and the graphics options are limited. Would definitely prefer a Roon client with RAAT support and an onscreen interface that works with the Shield remote. A big selling point of Roon is the RAAT technology so it’s rather disappointing to have to rely on Chromecast with such a powerful device as the Shield.

1 Like

Agree. Until its there, may I suggest SB Player or similar android app that uses squeezebox protocol for much higher res and cleaner audio from tv/ht setup than cca / chromecast (for me). Play with settings on SB player and it starts as roon endpoint in the background, roon launches display automatically, set bit rate as supported by your amp/dac system. Flawless. Good luck and happy listening.

1 Like

Old thread, but the feature request still stands …

Nvidia Shield Pro devices might be pretty old, but they’re still pretty fast & capable. I have 3 connected to 3 UHD multichannel systems via hdmi (not soundbars) and wired Ethernet to the rest of the network. Two of the processors are Roon ready devices themselves, and the third is Roon tested. At the moment my options for controlling Roon (change playlist, add/remove tracks, add favorites, change a setting etc) are: my Android phone, carry a laptop with me, or buy an iPad (won’t ever consider thinking about it). Why? I could simply use the large HT display & Nvidia Shield’s remote to do that, like I do with Plex, Tidal, etc.

@roonlabs_lifetime @roonlabs1 Any chance we’ll see an Android TV Roon control app happening ever? Pretty please? :roll_eyes: :pray:

2 Likes

I read that nVidia may not produce another Shield due to chip issues with Nintendo so Roon probably doesn’t think it is a priority to develop something for a “dead” product line?

But then there is no excuse not to develop something for ATV.

That might be the case, but I don’t see myself throwing out my 4 shield devices anytime soon - their performance is excellent with today’s AV demands, that is 4K content (local UHD copies and streaming) AV pass through, and music (not sure about Master Quality (MQA), but I don’t really care about that much - I don’t use Shields for music streaming anyway) - They perform just fine with my lossless music library.

But as I said, they could be of excellent use with Roon as a control device. Don’t understand Roons’s logic for not utilizing these devices … :roll_eyes:

Edit:
Forgot to add that I signed on to Roon for a trial prior to committing to a lifetime subscription. So far, I’ve been charging my Android phone twice a day just because I’m testing Roon and if there is one thing I hate, is using and dealing with my phone all the time. It’s main use is phone calls and emails. Had enough of it.

Honestly, even though I like Roon, if there is one reason I won’t commit to a subscription/purchase it’s this.

Blockquote
We will periodically mark features with brackets in the title explaining if it is done or not on the roadmap.

It’s very interesting to see how many such feature requests are marked in brackets .
Please make this on one of them !

A perfect server with limited control devices is pretty much useless …

Thank you!

PS: In whichever forum I have been in the past X years, if the company didn’t respond, 99,999% meant that the request was ignored. Result: company failed or lost users. Not a recommended practice for a highly respected company like yours.

Will await for your response on a 3 year old request. If you want customers to commit, do so yourselves too. That is a dare !!

11 days left :grin:

It’s just an Android TV prod and would run on any of the 10s of millions of Android TVs sold every year by the likes of Sony and TCL

3 Likes

Exactly. I, personally, would like a Bridge app to run on Shield so it could be an endpoint for Roon - not really interested in running a remote or server on it, just a RAAT target.

I know it can passthrough bit perfect content (via Kodi, Plex, etc.), so would just need Roon to hook into the same audio capabilities.

2 Likes