Control sync of real time lyrics

Hello. I’ve noticed that the real time lyrics are displaying consistently out of sync by being one lyric line too late (i.e. the highlighted lyric line should correctly be the one after the line that is being highlighted). Is there a way to adjust this in settings, not unlike the lipsync adjustment feature that you might find on a receiver or processor?

2 Likes

Hello @fifolifo,

There is no way to adjust the lyric sync time in Roon at this time but can you please provide some examples of tracks/albums that are displaying this behavior?

Thanks,
Noris

Two examples for you.
Pass That Dutch by Missy Elliot from This Is Not a Test! album.
Girlfriend by Matthew Sweet from the Legacy Edition of Girlfriend. I’m listening to the original album track on disc1, track#3.

I have bit depth conversion, headroom adjustment, and sample rate conversion enabled in this zone, which may be contributing to the desync of the lyrics. But since this type of tweaks seem to be common with Roon users, some ability to adjust the lyric sync time would a be great feature for a future version of Roon.

Hello @fifolifo,

Thanks for providing those examples.

I was able to reproduce with the Missy Elliot track but have been unable to do so with the Matthew Sweet track. Can you confirm which streaming service you are experiencing the lyrics not matching up on?

I have submitted your report to the team regarding the Missy Elliot track but if you have any more examples to share it may be beneficial to report them as well.

Thanks,
Noris

I’m not using any streaming service. All of the music that I listen to are stored on and being delivered by a Roon core running on Ubuntu on my local area network.

I think there are too many for me to list, but if I encounter other songs that are badly desynced. I will try to add them here. If it helps at all, the desync doesn’t seem as bad on newer/popular tracks (e.g. tracks on the Masseduction album by St. Vincent).

1 Like

Hi @noris, I can confirm this issue from my end. It’s not related to individual tracks in my case, but all (!) timecode lyrics are lagging by about 3 seconds or so. This is on a recently updated Devialet 140 Pro using RAAT. And I think using Devialet Roon Air before the update, the lyrics were syncing accurately. So, at least in my case, this doesn’t seem to be something related to timecode error in only few songs, but more to a general sync issue between playback and lyrics.

Hello @Thorsten_Vieth,

Thanks for letting me know that info. We are going to look into this to see if we can reproduce the issue, can you please let me know a few tracks on which you experienced this behavior? If you switch your zone, do the lyrics line up as expected?

Thanks,
Noris