Convolution filter presets for headphone models

Do you have the headroom clipping monitor on? This will see if the clicks are it clipping or something else. If it clips the signalpath icon in Roon goes red instead of blue. If it’s does you need more headroom than 3db. If it doesn’t show clipping then the issue lies somewhere else. Check your processing speed is not dropping down to low .

This is an incorrect idea. Search has not been moved, nor is it moving, from the “realms of the Roon Core to the Roon Cloud servers”. The Roon Core is still heavily involved in the search, it just isn’t responsible for a critical piece that prioritizes the results.

Are you asking if this is theoretically possible? If so, yah, it’s possible. If you are asking for information on our roadmap… tsk tsk :slight_smile:

So the Roon Core has less computation workload to be responsible for?

So the MQA 1st unfold and the application of DSP convolution filters for Headphone profiles used by Roon ARC is something that could be undertaken within the user’s Roon Core as it for ‘intra-network’ endpoints?

Not so, just postulating on what could be possible, as I find the application of a convolution filter for a pair of B&W P5 Wireless, when used wired, improves the SQ greatly when used on Roon within the home network and believe this functionality for a mobile experience with Roon ARC, would knock it out of the park.

Plus after a day of “Product Market fit analysis” reviews where my Roadmap has been completely pulled apart, why someone else’s!!! :laughing:

Yes, but not in any significant way. You’d probably get more saving my running your Roon window a few inches less wide.

Yah, theoretically, no reason why we couldn’t apply DSP in the Core to your files. It’d be weird for streaming services though, as we don’t stream that content via the Core. Reconciling that would need some consideration.

A modern phone can probably do this locally, with no Core involved. But regardless of where and how, DSP to enhance your P5 listening experience is absolutely “on the roadmap”.

1 Like

Most of my listening through Roon ARC is actually local files, as although I have Tidal HiFi subscription, I still prefer to maintain a local library, which is predominantly HiRes (PCM, DSD and MQA)

Plus as I have good 4G/5G network connectivity without data caps, I use ‘Original Format’ with an external dongle DAC on the iPhone (Ztella MQA).
Hence my question about the 1st unfold being undertaken also.

Are these the same filters as the ones in the Github link above?

This is a real disappointment :frowning:

I rarely use my PC. I know there’s a long standing Feature Request to give tablets (iPad in my case) full access to settings/functions available on PC and MAC, but it doesn’t seem to be forthcoming. :frowning:

Yes, just packaged and Roon ready.

3 Likes

Wow. I didn’t know this was a thing. Thanks for the work you’ve put into this!

My headphones aren’t on your site but they are in the crinacle and oratory1990 directories. Looks like they were uploaded just a few months ago, which may be why.

This stuff has been on my to do list for a while. I expected it to be a lot more complicated than it was. I actually thought I needed to stand up an HQPlayer instance to do it. Thanks for the pointers…it made this super easy.

1 Like

I’ll need to do a pull from the main repo to add the recent models. Thanks for the reminder :slight_smile:

Glad you got there anyways. I do mean to get round to adding some customisation options but never quite manage…

1 Like

I’ve at least done the update now so about 200 new models added, should try to automate that.

2 Likes

Mine show up as expected now. This is a nice thing you do.

1 Like

To be fair and give credit where it’s due, this is the real hero: jaakkopasanen (Jaakko Pasanen) · GitHub

2 Likes

What would be a good amount of taps for a Redbook CD or a 96khz file ? I’m getting 20k taps for Redbook and 299k taps for DSD.

Is that good, bad or normal?

This is awesome, but it would be even better if Roon could integrate everything directly in Rock (specially when DSP support arrives in ARC). Wavelet has the complete database from AutoEq and weights only 2,8MB, so I guess the impact on file size would be negligible.

I’m not sure that’s quite the case. The Wavelet EQ is done from a small file of a few data points (perhaps just 5) and doesn’t use the WAV convolution filters. The full set of filter files is about 700 MB, but not beyond a cores capability. The data needed to generate most of the filters from scratch (not Crinacle) takes about 65 MB in comparison.

I’ve tried this before, and always got “Failed to parse audio file” on both wav files in the zip. It also sais “No filter specifications found”.
Whats different with your zip @killdozer, it works straight off?
I added the file for Hifiman Arya Stealth, but noticed the wav files are 18 and 19 kB. Jaakopasanen files seems to be somewhat bigger, he also writes he’s recomputed using new optimizer. Could you please create a new zip for this, since I seem to fail?

There’s nothing special about the filters, Roon just requires a zip so that’s what I provided. It’s also easier for some folk than navigating GitHub. I refresh the machine image fairly regularly. I’ll do it shortly and let you know with a link here. Regarding filter size, I use the same files so they should be identical.

2 Likes

So does PlexAmp

Thanks! I didn’t know that PlexAmp had this ability built-in but then I don’t really use PlexAmp all that often. Now I’m wondering if I can stream Tidal via PlexAmp while using one of the headphone presets (aka convolution filters). I will give this a try during my next outing.