Copying downloaded music sometimes does not work

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

NUC8i7BEH running ROCK with 8GB of single DDR4 RAM and 256GB M.2 SSD. 2 TB internal SSD.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Google nest and mesh network. NUC is hard wired into router.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

transering downloaded files from laptop to internal SSD on NUC via wifi.

Description Of Issue

I buy albums from Qobuz. I extract the files from a tar file, then drag the resulting folder to Roon. It asks if I want to copy. I say yes. It copies. Sometimes this works perfectly and the album is added to my library. Other times it seems to copy the file names, but each song is 0 minutes long, i.e. it does not seem to copy the data in the files. The data is there, as I can see it and play it from the extracted tar folder.

Not sure why it works sometimes and not others. I do everything exactly the same. sometimes i redownload from Qobuz and repeat the process. sometimes this works, sometimes not.

this happened prior to the 1.8 updates, and is happening with the 1.8 updates.

You might be copying shortcuts and not the files them selves.

What OS is the laptop you are copying from?

Windows 10, enterprise. it doesn’t appear i’m copying shortcuts–i don’t see the shortcut icon.

Based on my experience, sometimes is better first to stop Roon service, then copy the files, and then start again Roon service.
You should try this and see if your problem persists.

I need Roon to be open to copy the files. I am dragging and dropping the files into Roon.

You should stop Roon service only, leaving the Roon OS running.

1 Like

You do this via the ROCK GUI. Stop RoonServer is a button. The RoonOS will continue to run so you can move music to it.
The other thing I notice about Qobuz tracks is they append extra words at the end of a track. I don’t know if this is somehow affecting Roon’s ability to identify the track.
When you move the music over, is there anything around the album that says ‘unidentified’? If it was, it would be missing a bunch of the other metadata.

1 Like

thanks. i see how to do that but haven’t tried it. i shut down the app, reopened it and was then able to successfully copy an album. i then tried copying a second album and it failed. i shut down the app again and was then able to copy successfully.

when it doesn’t copy successfully, the album is not identified and all that gets copied are the file names for the songs in the download folder (where I extract the album content from the Qobuz tar file).

what is the difference between the OS and the Server?

RoonOS is the operating system that operates the services on the NUC. Linux with modifications.
RoonServer is the software running your core. You turn RoonServer off so it doesn’t get its database messed up when a lot of music is moved. Since the operating service is still running you are able to move things to the NUC.
‘Shutting down the app’ is just closing your client, what you are using in your hands to talk to the roon core. That has no effect on what RoonServer (the core) is seeing. So best to turn off RoonServer. However, I doubt moving one album there will mess things up.

1 Like

You would probably find a better result if you just copy the files in File Manager from one computer to the other.

1 Like

It didn’t occur to me you might be dragging files into the Roon app. Is that what you are doing?
Yes, you would need Roon to be running for that to happen.
I was thinking you were dragging and dropping via Windows File Manager. @Rugby saw that.
While it might be possible, I’d never do it that way.

1 Like

I am dragging the folder containing the album directly onto the Roon app. Sometimes it works brilliantly. Other times i’ve had the problem described above. It’s pretty frustrating. I can’t understand why it works sometimes and not others. Eventually i’ve gotten all the albums i’ve bought from Qobuz copied, but it’s been a lot of work. maybe I’ll try copying directly from my laptop to the NUC next time dragging onto the app fails.

Thank you all very much for your responses.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.