Core and controller in different vLANs?

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Ubuntu 18.4.3 1.7 build 511

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Multiple VLANs via OPNsense 19.7.9_1, managed Netgear switches. Core, NAS and one Sonos using ethernet, other Sonos devices via SonosNet. Two accesspoints to support the wifi connected iOS devices (used as controller). One eaccess point on a floor.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
different Sonos devices, typically 5 to 10 years old.

Description Of Issue
Hi

I just started to install roon three days ago. First approach was to install the core in VLAN A on my NAS box (ubuntu 18.4.3). All the other stuff is loacted in VLAN B. There’s a firewall between A and B, but no deny rule between the NAS and VLAN B. In addiotion all other services on the NAS box have no issues to communicate to devices in the other VLAN. Unfortuantely the roon apps on iphone and ipad were not able to find the roon core. In addition I did not found a way to point the app to the core.

I installed the core in a VM connected to VLAN B, and all went fine.

So I am assuming you are using broadcasts.

Short question: Is the installation in two different subnets/VLANs supported? There is an older thread, mentioning that it is not feasible.
Is there a way to add the IP address or hostname of the core to the app?
Or maybe to setup some kind of announcing service?

Thanks

It has to be in a single range of IP addresses, normally in a single broadcast domain. If you look in the tinkering section others have recipes for other configs but it relies on setting up your network not roon.

Hi @Bene,

Only devices on the same subnet are supported by Roon.

Thanks for your answers. I will probably add roon to the same network.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.