Core constantly reboot

Ok thanks. So on this page just click operating system - Reinstall?

Yes, but as Rebeka says, first make sure you have a Backup for safety’s sake.

Ok. How long should the reinstall will take?

If I recall correctly, it should only take a couple of minutes to do the reinstall. Depending on the size of your library, the first boot and startup of the Roon system could take longer.

@Geoff_Coupe Thank you

@Geoff_Coupe is the reinstall procedure is the same no matter which OS (the OS in my computer is Linux)?

Er, you should only see the Web Administration Interface page with its Reinstall option if you are running Roon OS - which is installed by ROCK.

Roon OS is a purpose-built version of Linux, yes, but you won’t see this web page if you have installed Roon on another Linux distro or on Windows or MacOS…

1 Like

@Geoff_Coupe , After doing reinstall to Roon core, The system keeps restarting.
What can I do?

For clarification, you originally posted that your Roon Core (which I assume is a ROCK/NUC setup) was constantly rebooting. Now that you have Reinstalled the OS via the Web Administration Interface, there is no change: the Rock Core is still rebooting. Is this the case?

Yes I did the reinstalling through the web following your instructions and it keeps rebooting.
IT can play for 3 hours with no problems and sometimes after only 30 minutes it reboots
Do I need to do another reinstall after the last update?

Since reinstalling has seemingly had no effect on the rebooting issue, then further diagnosis would seem to be called for.

There may be a hardware issue at play here, e.g. the NUC is overheating (fan blocked up with dust), or faulty RAM, or the RAM is poorly seated, for example.

Can you check the NUC physically for these issues? If there’s nothing obvious, perhaps @beka can pull logs from the Core to check these?

I did let a technician checking the nuc and he said it is fine.
It doesn’t warm up at all. If it was, I don’t think that it work fine sometimes for more than 3 hours and sometimes reboot after 30 minutes.
How can I know if it is a ram problem?
How much ram is recommended?
Does controlling the Roon from iPad or android can do the problem.
I ask it because through the IPad , scrolling is very slow. (Is it normal that the Roon app in the IPad has more than 17 BG of storage?)
Can @beka see from the logs the causing issue?

You would need to run a memory test using something like this:

Not seen this happen with any of my Roon remotes using a Core on a ROCK/NUC

Thank you @Geoff_Coupe .
I am not sure I can do the memoty test.
Can you see in the log what cause the problem?
Problems started just after the 882 update instalation.

No idea - it’s just a thought that perhaps the logs will shed some light on the issue. Support will need to pull the logs and take a look.

Ok. Will they do that?

I asked @beka if she would arrange this in an earlier post - I suggest you wait for her response.

1 Like

Hey @isaac_ross,

Yes, we did. Thanks for your patience and sorry about my silence. I was trying to move things forward with our teams :relieved:

We’ve pulled logs and while the logs show pretty clearly the reboots you’ve mentioned, there aren’t any apparent causes: no SSD errors, no ongoing processes or really anything that would cause the restarts.

The best next step is, as @Geoff_Coupe kindly pointed out, is to run a RAM memory test. He’s offered some resources which are the same ones our technical team pointed to:

https://www.memtest86.com/tech_creating-window.html

Please, let us know how it goes :nerd_face:

1 Like