Core stopped functioning on iMac

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Mid 2007 iMac desktop, 2.4, Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory 6 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Running Roon build 1.6

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Airport Extreme modem, ethernet USB connection to Classe CP 800 and Moon 430 HA, Airplay, Wi-Fi to Apple laptops, iPhone, and Logitech Transporter

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Classe CP800, Macbook & Macbook Air, Simaudio Moon 430 HA, Logitech Transporter. Music library on external hard drive connected to iMac desktop via firewire Wired ethernet USB connection to Classe, and Moon, Wi-Fi to Logitech Transporter.

Description Of Issue

Difficulty connecting to Tidal for 3-4 days. Would resolve briefly if I re-booted computer. Was logged into account fine and was still able to access my own library. Now (2-3 days later) Core will not function on iMac. Does not recognize audio devices. See only “There was an issue loading your data base”. Have tried deleting Roon cache, deleting and re-loading Roon then loading back-up files, turning off firewall and anti-virus software. Roon functions normally if I make laptop Core but then of course I can’t access own library, only Tidal (which does help satisfy my music fix). Roon on IMac will function fine as remote in this setting. Prior to Roon I used J. River which still connects and functions normally. Sorry to bother you fine folks. Seems something has changed with desktop/networking. I have reached the pinnacle of my limited level of expertise. Thank you.

Hope you’ve backed up your library, and by using Roon backup and not TimeMachine.

This post should be attended to by @support.

Hi @Ed_Ahrens,

Welcome to the community and no worries about bothering us, we’re here to help. Can I please ask you to manually send us the logs from your Core by using these instructions (<-clickable link)?

It would be good to confirm @xxx’s question here as well. Can you confirm that the Roon backups that you have are made from within Roon and not a snapshot of the entire PC or the “Live Installation”?

Thanks,
Noris

Thank you. Yes I used Roon backup not the library backup that I have on another external drive. Ed

Hi @Ed_Ahrens,

Thank you again for your patience while our technical team has been looking into this issue for you.

I spoke with our team today regarding their evaluation of the logs from your install. Sometimes, errors like the one you saw can be spurious, but unfortunately in this case they are seeing signs of low level corruption in your database.

This type of error is extremely rare for us and not one that we see often. Our database infrastructure is designed specifically to prevent this type of corruption, and we don’t take this class of issue lightly.

We’ve traced a few reports like this in the past to hard drive integrity issues but generally speaking, this means that Roon is reading information from your hard drive that is different from what was originally written, and the database is now unable to load properly.

What’s Next?

If you’ve been making regular backups, my advice would be to install Roon fresh on your Core machine, and roll back to one of your backups. If the database loads properly, your edits, playlists, tags, etc should be intact, and we can confirm everything is performing properly once it’s been restored.

If you do not have any backups, unfortunately you will need to start with a fresh database. You can use the following instructions to do so:

• Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location: https://kb.roonlabs.com/Database_Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Restart the Roon App to generate a new Roon folder
  • Restore the Roon database from a previous backup

Again, this class of issue is extremely rare for us and you have our apologies for the trouble here.

– Noris

Noris,
I re-loaded a somewhat older Roon back-up file (which I should have done and thought of doing after I last communicated with you). Things seem to be back in order. Thx for your concern and rapid response. Ed A.

1 Like

Glad to hear that the issue is resolved @Ed_Ahrens, happy listening!

– Noris

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.