Correcting metadata - it takes really way too long

I think the problem here is that the Roon concept is surely that you upload your Roon library and then Roon will autoidentify everything for you, and therefore manually editing data is not really needed. But of course the reality is that Roon will rarely identify everything so manual editing is required, but it is always going to be a secondary feature.

I’m familiar with this because the aim of my own SongKong tagger is to provide fully automated music tagging, but in reality with any library of any size there will always be at least 5% that doesnt get identified. So although there are many tools already available that do manual editing I have now added manual editing to SongKong, but it is not its primary function.

There are two main reasons why Roon will not identify your album:
1> Your album is not in the Music databases used by Roon
2> Your copy of the album is messed up/incomplete preventing a match

Considering 1>, there is alot to be said for adding the data directly into the database used by Roon. In particular MusicBrainz provides a very comprehensive database and editor and with a bit of practise you’ll find it quicker and easier to add a release into MusicBrainz then directly editing with Roon, then within a few days Roon should pick up the release. The beauty of this approach is that every release added to MusicBrainz can be ulitized by every Roon user with that album, so if all Roon users just added a few of their missing albums everybody would quickly get better matching rates. And the MusicBrainz database is really of the highest standard, there a few (mainly Classical) quirks but data depth is significant and there is rarely bad data, when there is bad data added because of the way data is monitored by other users it is corrected quickly.

2> Roon is not very good at identifying albums that are incomplete, or contain duplicate tracks ectera.
In this thread there is user request for SongKong to be added into Roon. But whatever tool you use the pragmatic approach is to process your metadata outside of Roon to give Roon the very best chance of getting matches, and to provide decent metadata that Roon can use to display/organize even if it cannot identify.

To summarize editing data within Roon is never going to be easy except for the most trivial of cases so get your data fixed outside of Roon, and then use Roon for controlling and playing the music.

7 Likes