Corrupted database on ROCK

This is not a support request, just venting.

I dismantled my Intel NUC8i3 and rebuilt it into a Streacom FC5 Alpha casing. During this something must have happened to the database, located on a Kingston m.2 NVMe.

When the rebuild was finished, i started it up and all of the albums and playlists etc seemed fine, but i had no Audio devices available.

I tried restarting both the Roon Server software and the whole NUC via the web GUI. Sadly no audio devices became selectable still…

So, i decided to backup my database (which was upgraded to the latest version) and reinstall Roon OS.
After the slow backup of the database i went forth and reinstalled Roon OS from the WebGUI. I figured this would destroy the database, but this didn’t happen and i was still left with a Roon Core unable to activate and select any audio outputs.

Hmmmm… Okay, this was puzzling?
I had the choice of resetting the database from the WebGUI or reinstall the whole ROCK from a USB stick. I decided on the latter and made sure my backup was okay.

Everything went just fine with the reinstall and now the machine started up as a brand new Roon ROCK. I also activated the new Core and logged in to see it was working okay. Now everything seemed fine, all of my audiodevices showed up and were ready to be activated.
Well, then it’s just a matter of restoring the database backup i made earlier?
So i begun restoring the DB and sat back and waited another 2 hours. (The db backup/restore MUST be possible to compress/speed up)

After this i once more connected to this Core and wadda ya know… No audio devices were available???

I lost my temper and once more reinstalled Roon ROCK from scratch.
So now i have spent half a day trying to revive a ROCK from the dead (deaf?) and yet another day to rebuild my library, and a few more analyzing my library.

Then, what is the point of this long text? Well, some advise:

  1. Keep more than one backup of your Roon Server/Core
  2. Do NOT trust the database to be consistent forever

Thanks for reading all of this! :slight_smile:


I feel your pain!


Did you try removing/renaming the RAATServer folder?

1 Like

No Wiz, could that have forced a repair of the audio-part? And where did you gather this particular tip?

Not sure where but in the dim recesses of my memory I recall this being a potential fix for a corrupt DB

Sounds a bit dramatic to me , I have no desire to rebuild my Roon library from scratch !!

1 Like

I recall this was requested by support staff to reset the Audio device database…but dont quote me :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Quoting you to say that I have the same understanding :grinning:

@Mikael_Ollars If you no longer have an issue with the database or missing devices, I don’t recommend you do anything.

The instructions (FYI only, not telling you to do it) are:

  • Stop RoonServer from running in Roon OS’s WebUI
  • Navigate to your Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
  • Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
  • Restart the RoonServer in the WebUI to generate a new Roon database folder
  • On the Roon Remotes, press “Use another Core” and connect to the new database
  • Verify if the fresh database also has the same behavior

Although it may be a coincidence, your case reminds me of:

1 Like

Thanks Peter, i don’t seem to have any issues at the moment, but if it happens again, i am now armed with both a backup and some further knowledge! :slight_smile: