Cost no object Roon Ready network bridge

Roon Nucleus or N+ as a bridge would be able to be considered too.

Not if you want to stay in line with Roon Labs own recommendations for best sound. They say donā€™t put Core and Endpoint on same device. https://kb.roonlabs.com/Sound_Quality

I think Iā€™d go with the Signature Rendu SE Optical and an Optical module at the router end.

I was going to say Iā€™d look seriously at just the opticalRendu powered with an UpTone Audio UltraCap LPS 1.2, but I see the specs for the opticalRendu specify 1.5A continuous and 2A peak, where the LPS 1.2 is limited to 1.1A.

Itā€™s a shame because I really like the UltraCap design, but Iā€™m sure the SE Signature power supply is no slouch either.

4 Likes

My point was use a Nucleus and a bridgeā€¦not for a coreā€¦I use ROCKL as just a bridge but have a NUC/ROCK as a core on a different box

SGC make a supply for the OR that can be purchased together on their site and and FMC option too IIRC

What Hari said. In that order.

Um, you know this is crazy, right?
Right now you go from USB>USB cable> through the MSB interface right into the ProISL bus. Sweet.
You have the option of going ethernet, through an MSB interface (MSB Ethernet Input Module) right into the ProISL bus. Plus, you have control of the Discrete volume control directly via Roon.
You prefer to go ethernet>into a third party electronic box>USB output stage>USB cable>USB module into the ProISL bus? And also forgo control of the DAC via Roonā€¦
Is the USB/ProISL module so much better you would want to put all that other stuff in front of it rather than just go directly into MSBā€™s own input module?
(you know Iā€™m only being tough here because I luv you bruā€™)

1 Like

You are probably right, and I appreciate your input.

My tests were a while back, I think I bought the MSB over 18 months ago, so maybe I should give the Ethernet Renderer module another shot.

Since I do have a very good integrated amp, I prefer the control the volume through that, and not through the MSB (sending full signal to the Integrated Amp).

Iā€™m sort of in between on volume control. I have a Pass preamp, and actually (slightly) prefer the volume control directly out of the MSB DAC. I donā€™t know if I could tell blinded, but that is sort of the point.
If my Analog DAC were balanced (and itā€™s not), Iā€™d almost certainly prefer the Pass preamp in line. Is the Discrete balanced or single-ended?

Itā€™s balanced. I certainly prefer the volume control in my integrated amp (T+A PA 3100 HV)

Iā€™m just seeing your post and you may have already decided on the boxes, but I did the following and am enjoying very high quality playback via USB.

I have the signal coming (from my dedicated music server in my network closet via Cat-7). At the listening room, the signal enters an SOtM sMS-200ultra Neo, a network receiver that receives and re-clocks the signal and acts as a Roon endpoint. Then, the signal is routed to the SOtM tX-USBultra; it takes the already clean signal from the receiver and regenerates/renders the USB audio signal using a high-performance super clock module, sCLK-EX, installed inside. Both devices are powered via an sPS-500 high-quality power supply (with silver-stranded 7N UPOCC Y-type power cable). Inter-connects are SOtM dCBL-CAT7 from the wall to the player and Transparent Audio USB DIGITAL cable between the receiver and renderer and between the renderer and my DAC (a T+A PDP 3000 HV, which is an astonishing piece of German engineering). From the T+A DAC, Iā€™m then in the analogue domain running through the remainder of my system.

Perhaps youā€™ll find my rig helpfulā€¦

Take care, Lon

3 Likes

I think I should also confess that I have no experience of optical fibre vs. Ethernet. Iā€™m just buying the Kool-aid that optical is better. My prejudices tell me that it probably is, but I havenā€™t heard or experienced an optical connection.

Drinking. Drinking the Kool-Aid. Which phrase I believe comes from the Jonestown tragedy. Indeed. From Wikipedia:

" Drinking the Kool-Aid " is an expression used to refer to a person who believes in a possibly doomed or dangerous idea because of perceived potential high rewards.

3 Likes

Yes optical is better. Itā€™s your chance to filter out 100% of the noise from the network. Typically you donā€™t get a chance to remove 100% of a noise source but in this can no noise travels over optical fiber.

Of course there are always more noise sources but itā€™s good to get rid of one of them.

The Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical is bar none the best network player in existence. Thatā€™s why the fist poster in this thread mentioned it and Chris from Computer Audiophile gave it product of the decade.

But if you are looking for a lower cost solution the opticalRendu for Roon bundle gets you very close for less money.

3 Likes

If the process of converting the optical to and from Digital wire interface is adequately done then I guess it could be as good if not betterā€¦but there are many variables and power supply comes into play here too. I run optical (1M length) to my EtherRegen from my Unifi SW24 switch then 100mbps cable to my Lumin D1. TBH I cant really say I hear any difference but the general consensus is that its better for those that use this connectivity to the ER. I also run an Optical (15M Length) from the other SFP port on the SW24 to an FS Fibre Media converter to my other Lumin D1 in another part of the house. All works great but again can I really say with certainty there is a clear improvementā€¦no.

1 Like

The Rendu family are all good recommendations at various price points and increasing levels of performance.

However, I would also strongly recommend that you look at Playback Designs Stream-IF.

First Law of Roon, separate end point from server.

Second Law of Roon, use fiber to fire break the noise Between network equipment and stereo rack. I use a Gigafoil ethanet filter.

ROUTER ā€”> Gigafoil ā€”> SGC i9 Roon server ā€”> Innuos Zenith ā€”> PS Audio Direct Stream Bridge

All Ethernet cat 8. Thus is what I mostly use.

I have a second route also

ROUTER ā€”> Gigafoil ā€”> SGC i9 Roon server ā€”> Innuos Zenith ā€”> USB ā€”> Matrix ā€”> i2s ā€” Direct Stream

This second route does not employ Roon. It uses the Innuos implementation of LMS. I find thus to have better SQ when I am deep listening.

Maim system

DAC ā€”> Accustic Arts Tube Preamp II ā€”> Bryson 7b ST monos ā€”> Maggie 3.7i and dual Rel R328 subs.

So in both scenarios, you use sonicTransporter i9 as a Server / Roon Core, and only use the ZENith as a streamer / endpoint, correct? Interestingā€¦

Nope. I use the i9 only for Roon. The Innuos is a fully functional LMS server in its own right.