CPU frequency function on the sMS-200 and sMS-200ultra

Has anyone tried adjusting the CPU frequency on their SMS-200?

It’s apparently a feature of the new firmware 0.5.51

Quote:

When tested with 312MHz, we can achieve the best sound quality. Compared to the default setting, we can proudly say the sound upgrade with CPU frequency settings is more than twice. Considering the price of the product, it was good enough before, but if you set up CPU FREQUECY, then I would say it is the best value for money.

It also says:

This feature is only available with the latest version of Eunhasu firmware (I’m downloading) and the latest kernel versions, and supported on Intel series CPUs such as sMQ-Q370 (not sure if I have these on my SMS-200 UN?)

I’ve not tried it myself, yet!

I decidedly felt the firmware upgrade which introduced the CPU optimization feature elevated the SQ.
I haven’t played around with the frequency settings yet, and my SOtM-kit is disconnected at the moment.

Good stuff, I’ll try it later…

I’ve just been trying this out in my system - and it sounds like there is a definite improvement in SQ.

I use my sMS-200 Neo as an HQPlayer NAA and even though I’m using the current release kernel 6.1.60-210 rather than beta version 6.1.60-211 setting the frequency to 528mHz does appear to work and for the better.

1 Like

May from SOtM in dialogue with users - could be useful info…

I’ve just done the Firmware/Kernel upgrade
on my SMS-200 UN. I use Roon only, I’m on the 312 and 1000base settings at the moment, but I’ll definitely try the others in due course

I must say it’s a notable change; more spacious and detailed at the top end, but far more significant on my system is the bass

For example, Bat For Lashes - The Wizard and Janelle Monae - Screwed have some very deep bass that were previously there, but not especially well defined. Now they are utterly transformed. There are notes and textures emerging and the tonal balance has moved completely

So much so, I’m going to have to re-run RoomPerfect on my Lyngdorf ‘3400!

Amazing work, many thanks to May and all at SOtM, keep it coming :grinning::+1:

regards
Andy

1 Like

@Andrew_Stoneman
Thank you Andy for this post. I hadn’t seen this new option when I upgraded my SOtM sMS-200 Ultra Neo.
But now, I have put the CPU-clock in 144 MHz. This works perfectly when using “Roon Ready”. One cannot use the GUI when playing music, but who cares. I only need the GUI approx. each two months to see if a new release is available. For the rest I only want to play music as perfect as possible. And when installing a new firmware/kernel, one can temporarily switch to max. CPU-speed. I really love this extra feature. I hope that SOtM will not remove the 144MHz-option as they are planning to do. We will see in the next firmware-release.

So you could do measurements before and after, right?
If it’s as obvious as you state, it should show in the measurements!
Let’s see them graphs, please - I’m genuinely interested!

I had an aha! Moment, or more, a hmmm

RP only works within the Lyngdorf amps, any sources are upstream. Similarly REW.

On further listening it’s almost over egging the very low bass; moving up to the 500 (ish, not in front of it now) CPU setting reduces that effect but loses a bit of the clarity

I’ll experiment with a custom voice in the ‘3400, maybe drop the 20-40hz by 2dB

I’ll give the 144 a go, it’ll be interesting to hear if it gives even more clarity and bass in my system

I don’t really understand - if the Eunhasu gui? stops at 144, how do you see the menu option to reset it?

Sorry Andrew if my explanation wasn’t clear, but the GUI is not OK at 144MHz when you play music at the same time.
If I want to temporarily set a higher CPU frequency, for instance to check or download a new firmware/kernel version, I have to stop the music from playing. Then the GUI is responsive enough to be able to change the CPU-settings to whatever frequency you like. After the check, I can put it back to 144MHz and after a (slow) reboot I can play music again (but no GUI at the same time).

Great, thanks Frank

Regards
Andy

I was using my SMS-200 Neo as a HQPlayer NAA and always got a distorted noise on playing back upsampled DSD512. After changing the frequency to 528mHz, the distortion went away and sound quality took a huge leap upwards. It’s now at the same level as my HoloAudio Red streamer!

2 Likes

Thanks for starting this thread! I would have probably missed this feature otherwise - i’ve made the recommended changes and my set up is sounding sublime - separation and textures have become more nuanced. What a great sotm update!

1 Like

It’s really good innit?! :grinning:

I’m using Roon and the 312/1000 setting, later on I’m going to experiment with the 144 and 100 options

In the meantime, as well as the extra details etc, anyone else get a significant hike in loooooow bass? Mine was really LOUD at certain frequencies (sub 50-60hz) and it was a bit over bearing

I was away at a friends making abfusers. We were discussing options on how I might tame it, since the change is coming from the SOtM and room correction in my Lyngdorf ‘3400 wouldn’t ‘hear’ it

I was expecting to have to move my seat out of the bass peak, and probably move the stand mounts too

At home, I thought I’d try out the abfusers anyway - and blow me away! The previous boom was solved, but the punch on kick drums etc remained, and I don’t listen loud (~75-80dB)

Call me ‘surprised and delighted’!

1 Like

We made 3 abfusers (well, converted 3 absorbers by CNC’ing the slots in the backs to give the diffusion effect)

I now have a pair on the walls to my left and right, and I’m experimenting with one on the floor - the idea being, if it’s beneficial, to fix it to the ceiling

Lovely Focal Diablo’s! Enjoy!

Thanks, they’re truly amazing

If you see at the back of my room, I have two 6x10
Bass speakers. They’re 2.2 from my Lyngdorf ‘3400, via a ‘2200

The Focals are full range and the W610s are on LR 2nd at 73hz. The amp room corrects, does the x-over, delay etc

I believe I’ve got close to proper hi end Focal sound :sunglasses::+1:

1 Like

I tried the 144MHz - and it briefly sounded wonderful :grinning:

…but then it locked up :anguished: