Cracking sound when playing tidal tracks through roon

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Roon on PC.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
USB DAC AMP (Questyle CMA400i) then to edifier s360db (RCA input).

Description Of Issue
Hi all,

When I play particular tracks from Tidal through Roon, vocal constantly give cracking sound. This happens with DSP upsampling either on or off.

I tried playing the same track as below:

• Through Tidal PC app directly
  • From USB DAC AMP and various headphones
  • From Roon/Tidal app by phone Bluetooth to speaker.
  • From my phone’s Roon app to another device via a 3.5 to RCA cable (a set of amp and speaker with brand unknown)

No issue at all. The cracking just occur when playing through DAC to Speaker via Roon.

Just would like to see if there is anything I can do to solve this. Thanks!

Hi @Rico_Chu,

Welcome to the forum! I have a few questions to begin troubleshooting:

What kind of TIDAL tracks does this behavior occur on? Only MQA? Only higher-resolution/higher bit-rate tracks?

Just to clarify here - when you outputted to your Questyle DAC and had the headphones attached directly to it (bypassing the Edifier), there were no issue?

If this is the case it seems like the Edifier or the RCA output from the Questyle is the problematic piece of the chain.

Thanks!

Most tracks seems fine but a few tidal track (e.g. I will survive from Musica Nuda - Live à FIP, non-mqa 44.1khz 16bit file) got the crack sound that sounds like unit overdrived, mostly occur during mid-range vocal. And yes, bypassing the speaker seems fine.

However I tried to play the track via tidal PC app bypassing roon (same connection - PC to questyle to speaker) and no crack/pop noise.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.