Crackling noises when playing some tracks with Roon - but not with other players

I’m running Roon Core with the desktop application on my PC (Windows 10).

The files where the crackling noises appear are all records downloaded from Qobuz during the last months. Not all such records are polluted by crackling noises, but many of them are.

I only have those crackling noises when playing the files with Roon embedded player. Also, the sound quality played by Roon on those files is pretty bad (lot or reverberation, often).

On the other hand, I don’t have those issues when playing the files with another player. I tried with Music Bee, then with HQ Player (evaluation version) and the sound quality runs from okay (Music Bee) to excellent (HQ Player). I also played the files directly through Qobuz streaming, no problem.

I also recently changed my Internet Provider from bad quality ADSL with 800 ko/s max download rate (a current issue in remote zones when your house stand at the end of the ADSL line…) to Starlink, with a download rate running from 20 Mo/s (real, actual downloads) to 200 Mo/s (theoretical, embedded test bench in Starlink app). I took profit of this upgrade to download again the crackling files. With almost no changes in the final result : they are still unplayable with Roon Player but OK with Music Bee / HQ Player.

Any idea why this is happening ?

Edit > added an extract of the DXDiag export.
Audioengine D1 is the actual audio output.

System Information

Time of this report: 11/4/2023, 10:43:59
           Machine Id: {E211A206-60B0-4DC7-99BF-772AF4C7FCEE}
     Operating System: Windows 10 Famille 64-bit (10.0, Build 19045) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
             Language: French (Regional Setting: French)
  System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
         System Model: G11CD-K
                 BIOS: BIOS Date: 11/25/16 14:12:34 Ver: 05.0000C (type: BIOS)
            Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
               Memory: 24576MB RAM
  Available OS Memory: 24526MB RAM
            Page File: 13183MB used, 14927MB available
          Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
      DirectX Version: DirectX 12
  DX Setup Parameters: Not found
     User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
   System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
      DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
             Miracast: Available, no HDCP

Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DirectX Database Version: 1.0.8
DxDiag Version: 10.00.19041.3570 64bit Unicode

Sound Devices

Description: Haut-parleurs (Audioengine D1)

Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: USB\VID_2912&PID_30C8&REV_0003&MI_00
Manufacturer ID: N/A
Product ID: N/A
Type: N/A
Driver Name: USBAUDIO.sys
Driver Version: 10.0.19041.3570 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
WHQL Logo’d: n/a
Date and Size: 29/09/2023 01:00:00, 205824 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: Microsoft
HW Accel Level: Emulation Only
Cap Flags: 0x0
Min/Max Sample Rate: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: No
EAX™ 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
I3DL2™ Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura™ ZoomFX™: No

Description: OMEN by HP 25 (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)

Default Sound Playback: No
Default Voice Playback: No
Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_0083&SUBSYS_10438725&REV_1001
Manufacturer ID: N/A
Product ID: N/A
Type: N/A
Driver Name: nvhda64v.sys
Driver Version: 1.3.40.14 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
WHQL Logo’d: n/a
Date and Size: 19/01/2023 01:00:00, 121880 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: NVIDIA Corporation
HW Accel Level: Emulation Only
Cap Flags: 0x0
Min/Max Sample Rate: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: No
EAX™ 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
I3DL2™ Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura™ ZoomFX™: No

More system details would be useful, but this could be clipping? Do you have any DSP engaged? Switch the clipping indicator on to check .

1 Like

Hi Anthony, thanks for replying.

I have just added system information in the first post (edited).
I don’t use DSP but the standard settings on all the zones ! Volume control = volume of the audio device

Post a screenshot of your signal path in Roon, as below.

Here it is >

For the record : I’ve just tested one of the crackling tracks with volume leveling disabled, with no effect.

Hello. Any ideas, support team ?

Hi @Christophe_Brun,

Thank you for your patience. Are you able to supply our team with one of the affected FLAC files by using this media uploader?

Additionally, if you try a different audio driver on your Windows 10 machine, can you reproduce this digital distortion? The description of the digital distortion suggests a sample rate mismatch within the Audioenginer D1 driver. We’ll try to reproduce the issue on our end once we have an affected file.

Thank you!

Thanks for replying. I have just uploaded 2 sample files with the distorsion.
I no longer have the wires to connect my speakers to the nvidia driver, sorry.

A quick search with Google makes me believe that you’re better off avoiding 88.2 kHz playback on the Audioengine D1. You can use Roon’s built-in sample rate converter to do so.

Additionally, while reading through three random Google results, two came up with the same root cause:

Maybe a serial error of this device?

2 Likes

Interesting.
And confirmed : I lowered the PCM from 96 k to 48 k for the Audioengine D1 zone and the cracklings disapeared.
Same thing with PCM left untouched at 96 and sample rate conversion enabled.

Thanks for the insights ! This is very useful for me since I have no skill at all in signal processing and all those values and settings are obscure, to say the least.

I don’t get what your talking about here? Do you still need help from Roon Support?

PS: From the first example I linked above, I take it that this is a (somewhat known) issue for the manufacturer and that he is able to provide affected customers with a properly working unit, either through repair or exchange.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.