Crackling when playing 48kHz 24bit files in Roon 1.1

They’ll need the aforementioned screen shots of audio settings.

I just did a quick test and found no problem with any of my zones: laptop, Meridian streaming or RAAT.

Here are screenshots of my audio setup

Can you enable Exclusive Mode (first screenshot) and share what happens?

YES! that solved it!

but why? and by running this mode, what does that do to my set up?

the volume doesn’t seem as loud, it’s a bit easier to control. one issue i was always having is that the volume seemed to turn up by itself when i paused or stop playback. this seems to have addressed that.

It will allow Roon to gain exclusive use of your DAC, so it is able to output the audio stream directly. If you leave it unchecked, the stream is delivered to your operating system’s mixing device, which adds further manipulation (and sometimes – as you have seen – unwanted nastiness. :-)).

Hi all,

I’m having exactly this issue (and was about to create my own thread before finding this one). It only occurs when outputting the sound of 48kHz through my Mac speakers or through headphones, it’s fine through any DAC, but I’m on 1.4, so I guess the issue is still there?

(and by the way, on some such albums, Roon kind of “soft crashes”: it plays for a few seconds, then displays “no audio output found”. After a short while, the audio zones are available again.)

Do you have Exclusive Mode enabled on all zones?

Ah, my apologies, I did not read the comments above properly. Making the build-in output exclusive does sort out the problem. However, the only time I ever stick my headphones straight into my Mac is when I need to hear my operating system’s alerts, so that does not do the trick for me. But I understand it’s not necessarily entirely due to Roon though.

1 Like