Crackling when playing 48kHz 24bit files in Roon 1.1

When I play 48kHz 24bit files I’m getting continous distortion or interference - a sort of fast ticking / crackling sound. All other file formats are fine and the 48KHz files play without distortion in JRiver. I’m not sure when this started as I’ve only got two albums in this format and can’t find them in my history, but I thought I’d played at least one of them before in Roon without problems

I’m using an Apogee Duet with Exclusive Mode set. Can you help please?

I focused my library on 48 - 24 albums and listened to a couple of songs, and no crackling here. Sorry, can’t help.

I use IMac OSX 10.10.5 and use a Meridian MC200 endpoint.

Cheers, Greg

Thanks for trying this Greg. I’m using OSX 10.5.5 as well.

I converted one of the albums to 24/44.1 and 16/44.1 and both played without crackling. I should have said that I’ve got 24/96 and 24/192 albums that play without problems.

A polite bump :smile:

This is weird. I’m having the exact same problem with Roon playing a 24/48 album. I tried FLAC and WAV versions; both produced the same problem: a fast digital clicking sound. It’s only in Roon; Audirvana, JRMC and VLC have no problem playing the same 24/48 album. When I download (from Qobuz) it in FLAC 16/44.1 Roon has no problem with it either.

I’m using Roon 1.2 (165) on an iMac running Sierra 10.12.1

Same Problem with Roon 1.2 (165). Only occurs with 48k both 16bit and 24bit. Using a Meridian explorer 2 w/ v1717 patch and Sierra 10.12.2

Up, same problem of crackling noise on some 24-48 albums. They are playing fine in Audirvana and Decibel. And only some. Roon 1.2 build 165

I think I have some such files. Will try.

I cannot replicate either.

It looks like all reports above are on some version of OS X / macOS. Let’s flag @support for follow-up. Can any of you share a ‘crackling’ file via Dropbox?

@chrisbyrd , @jossen, @Adam_Stettner, @alex_weiss ----- Thank you for the reports and the feedback. I would like to test in house with a sample of media from each of you to see if I can produce the same results. May I kindly ask each of you for the following in a PM addressed to me:

1. A dropbox link with one song you are noticing this issue with.

2. A description of your setup and what settings you are using in Roon .

My apologies if any of this information needs to be repeated, I want to make sure I have everything in front of me when I got to test the content :microscope:

-Eric

Hi. Roon won’t play 48kHz files for me either (without distortion).

I believe this is fixed in 1.3.

Great. Any idea when 1.3 will be available?
It’s not a huge deal. Only applies to 9 albums out of a fairly large collection, but irritating when I go to play them.

When it’s been fully finished and tested. :slight_smile:
They won’t be sitting on it finished just to tease you all.

1 Like

I’ve been having the same issue and it’s driving me nuts.

so have we determined an older version of OS X is the culprit?

I am running 10.10.5 and Roon 1.2

unlike a lot of the people who posted here, i have a TON of these files as one of my favorite bands releases every show they play in this format…

so either update to newest OS X or wait for Roon 1.3 i guess?

Hi @Keith_Adams, OS X version is not the culprit here. You will have to wait for 1.3 for the fix – hang tight!

HI Kevin,

just wanted to let you know that Roon 1.3 did not fix the issue. any ideas ?

Yeah I,m getting crackling and pops with Tidal Masters through Roon but if I play them through the Tidal MAc app ,everything plays nicely.

I am completely not impressed with the bugginess of this update to 1.3

Everything was working fine for me until this update.

@Keith_Adams @Jim_Honsberger

Can you let us know the details of your setup, especially your audio outputs and screenshots of your audio settings?

Thanks!

1 Like

my set up in regard to solving crackling during playback of 24/28 files:

MacBook Pro 15
2.3g Intel i7
16GB Ram

OSX 10.10.5

Roon 1.3 build 196

Geek Out 1V0

music is on Western Digital My Passport Ultra 2T

8637 tracks

Crackling only occurs in playback of 24/48. all other formats are ok.