Crash on Mac Studio Max

Hi Enrico,

I was wondering if you could find a solution for your problem described above. I experience a similar problem. I used to have the Roon core on an iMac 2017 and also use a BluesSound NODE. I just bought a Mac Studio Max and can’t get Roon working on it. The app opens but it does not find audio devices and crashes when I click on settings.

Hi @Gunter_Haumann,

Welcome to Roon Community and thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. I hope you don’t mind - I’ve moved your post into a new topic where we can troubleshoot, since the last user’s issue was resolved.

First off, are you still experiencing these issues after updating Roon to Build 970? We resolved a known issue causing a crash when accessing the Settings page, which sounds like an issue you’re encountering.

If you’re still experiencing issues on the latest build, I recommend refreshing your Roon database, as there may have been issues migrating from your previous Core. Please follow the steps below:

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup

Please let us know in this topic thread if you’re still encountering problems and we’ll proceed from there.

Roon Core Machine

Apple Mac Studio M1 Max

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Wired ethernet
iPhone and iPad over wifi with router Netgear Orbi RBR850

Connected Audio Devices

BlueSound Node wired with router

Number of Tracks in Library

10,000 tracks

Description of Issue

I always used an iMac 2017 as Roon Core which worked well. Now I want to use an Apple Mac Studio M1 Max as Roon core (and, of course, for other tasks as well). I disconnected the Roon Core and deleted Roon from the old iMac. Then, I downloaded the Roon Software from their website to the Mac Studio and installed the app.

When I open the app, two things can happen:
Sometimes, the login page appears but it would not continue with logging in after entering username and password.
At other times, after opening the app, it asks to add music and the streaming service. But when I’m asked to add audio devices, it does not go further. When I hit the button Manage audio devices, the app shuts down.
Also when I click on Settings in the menu, the app crashes.

How can I get Roon running on the Mac Studio?

Hi @Gunter_Haumann,

I hope you don’t mind, I’ve done a little tidying up and merged some posts I believe were related from a separate topic thread.

We’d be happy to troubleshoot your issue here. However, we’ve noticed your Core machine isn’t online, so our tech support team is having a difficult time accessing logs to diagnose the issue here. If you don’t mind, would you leave your device online overnight so we can access them?

Otherwise, feel free to manually upload logs at your convenience. Use the directions found here and send over a set of logs to our File Uploader.

We look forward to hearing from you soon, and the team is standing by to support.

Hi,
Thank you for trying to get this fixed.
I have installed the latest Build 970 and will live the computer with the Roon core online tonight as you suggest.

Hi,

I followed your instruction: Renamed the Roon folder to “Roon_old” and reinstalled the Roon app which generated a new Roon folder. Then, I restored the backup and everything seems to work now!

Very happy about that. Thanks a lot for your help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.