Creating a back-up location on PC (which is not Roon Core)

Roon Core Machine

Innuos Zenith Mk3

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

USB

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I’ve raised this topic before and reached a successful conclusion, but since having to reset my Windows 10 PC having replaced the SSD I need to start over. I’ve referred to my earlier thread but it doesn’t help. What I need is an idiot’s step-by-step, guide (no jargon) on how to set up a backup location on my PC. It ought to be simple or even automatic, but it isn’t. Any help appreciated.
Geoff

Try this guide:

I am familiar with this as have used before. No problem setting up the shared folder, the problem was in adding the network share in Settings Storage; kept getting the red error box. After several trial and error sessions with the username and password boxes, I finally got there by changing my Windows 10 Password (NOT my Microsoft account password). Thanks for responding.

1 Like

I despair. Having set up the network share correctly (eventually!) and having made three successful Roon database backups to it, it now tells me that this location is “Not available”. I’ve checked every possible location on my PC and shared every folder I can find but still cannot successfully create a new network share. Why is this supposedly easy task so **** difficult?

Hi @Geoff_Bishop,

I’m terribly sorry you’ve had such a frustrating experience with this shared folder.

Just for due diligence, do you happen to have a Firewall enabled?

Several Windows users with Roon have encountered issues with network share and resolved the by creating a new local account on their PC, and using that to connect to the share. Make sure you have added the new account to the sharing list. Guest access is no longer available in Windows by default. Here is a useful thread describing their solution: Backup to network share

Do you also have permissions set to Read/Write in Network Access?

I’ve tried all the various suggestions on how to set up a network share on my PC with no success. The one I did set up successfully a few weeks ago now no longer works. Isn’t there a simple way to configure Roon so that the backup location can be to a USB drive?. My Roon Core is my Innuos Zenith Mk 3 which has a USB port for backup to an external drive. Within MyInnuos (with Roon temporarily deactivated) I can easily back up my Zenith hard drive with all my ripped CDs. But this does not, of course, back up my RoonDB. Is there a way within Roon to do something similar?

Hi @Geoff_Bishop,

We can absolutely keep things simple and direct backups to your external drive. Our Backup Knowledge Base Article provides some useful info regarding your questions, but let me try to summarize the steps for you here:

1. Plug in your external drive to the PC
  2. Navigate to Roon Settings → Backup tab and either select a recurring scheduled backup or select a manual backup by clicking the button next to “Backup Now”
  3. Next, press “Select location…” and chose the external drive from the left-hand drive navigator
  4. Point Roon to the folder you would like the backup to reside in or create a new folder using the button towards the bottom and press “Select this folder”
  5. Press the “Start” button to begin the backup

This is what step #3 will look like:

Hope this helps! We’ll be here to support if any questions arise.

Connor,
Tried this but there is nothing to see in the left hand drive navigator panel; it’s blank (apart from Drobox)

I attach a screenshot of what I see. It doesn’t have, and never has had, the folder options shown in your screenshot

It looks as though the shared folder on your PC (accessed as a network share in the Roon Core running on your Zenith Mk3) has gone missing for some reason. Try setting it up once more by clicking the Add network share button to add it again.

But this highlights my problem; I just can’t get Roon to accept my network share. A few weeks ago I did succeed adding \DESKTOP-7MQ8RM6\RoonDB followed by my Windows 10 (NOT my Microsoft account) username and password. Subsequently I successfully backed up my Roon DB three times. But now I see this message: “This drive is not available. Check the drive or edit this folder if it’s been moved”. I had deleted this (no longer working) network share in the hope it might help my attempts to set up a new one, which is why it’s not visible in my screenshot. Incidentally, during the times when I did have a successfully working network share, I never had any folder options showing in the left hand panel.

At what point in the process of adding a new network share in the Backup settings do you see this message?

It sounds to me as though you have left the original settings in the Roon Backup screens unchanged. So if you have deleted the network share on the PC, then Roon will naturally complain that the share is not available?

Success. I delved further into my Windows 10 settings and turned off Password-protected sharing and also turned on Media streaming. I then was able to set up the network share and have made a successful backup onto my C: drive. Still can’t see any folders in the left hand navigation pane though. I also managed to set up another network share onto a USB drive.
Hopefully these Network shares won’t disappear like the previous one. Thanks for your help.

You shouldn’t see the folders in that pane - that pane should list the remote PC that is sharing the folder (but only after you have first added the network share into Roon)…

1 Like

Hi @Geoff_Bishop,

I’m glad to hear that @Geoff_Coupe was able to help out over the weekend and that the network share is up and running.

As @Geoff_Coupe mentioned, the lefthand pane will list your remote PC rather than watched folders.

If there are any other questions we can help answer here, we’re more than happy to keep this topic open. Otherwise, feel free to start a new thread if these issues return.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.