Creating convolution files for Roon in the new Room EQ Wizard (REW) with Inversion

If you follow the method in the latest VBA video, the resonant frequnecy is calculated as the half of the first peak, in your case somewhere around 19Hz which should also be found from the formula f=c / 2(L+W+H) if the room is perfectly rectangular. This is the first dip and the repeating frequency. I am not sure if you are following this method. The video has a link to an XL file named “VBA Revamped.xls”.

The decay time is related to the reflection angles and surface absorptions so it will very much depend on the specifics of the room.

Hi OCA,
I’m very reliant on your knowledge and methodology: as I say could not start to do any of this without it!
Yes I used your spreadsheet but when using an amended LPF (48dB/oct roll off @ 57hz) treating 38hz peak the spreadsheet’s extrapolated offset did not quite line up 38hz peak and counter IR dip: some very slight manual intervention was required.
The variables that maybe affecting this appear, to me, to be the different roll off frequency and slope as when I followed your guide to begin with, to set a base line, the 38hz peak and counter IR dip lined up perfectly so spreadsheet is pin point accurate for its main purpose (considering asymmetrical room and bass traps) it needed slight amendment only when I went “off piste” with LPF.
That said I have nowhere near your level of understanding, so let’s face it I could be wrong!
HAGD and KRs,The

I’m thinking of trying out HQplayer. As far as I know, HPplayer doesn’t except stereo convolution files. So, is this the right way to make the mono wav files?

Does it look like the settings are correct?

And, is this the right file to export as wav?(FR-trimmed, then FL-trimmed for left)

Thanks for anyone’s help.

Yes that’s correct!

I might be wrong. But as I remember I’ve had wavs made following the steps in this thread and I did upload them in HQP (left and right channels separate wavs). I think I uploaded them in the matrix/convolution:

Hi,
How can I PM you OCA?

Welcome to the Roon community, @Henny_de_Jong.

Since you’re a new user, you won’t be able to send PMs. To up your forum trust level, you need to get acquainted with the community, and post a few times.

You can write here…

1 Like

Hi all. I’m trying to create convolution filters for Roon using OCA’s guide. I’m failing at the point where I time-align the speakers. The initial speaker impulses seem far off from time 0 - or as I understand it the listening position. Even if I were to align them for purposes of the filters, what does this mean for actually adjusting my speaker placement? I would expect the peaks to be on either side of time 0.
Any thoughts?

I cannot read the distance data in red but both speakers seem to arrive around 20cm too early to the mic compared to your acoustic timing reference speaker signal. Did you keep the same speaker as acoustic timing refererence during both measurements? Was that not one of the two measured speakers?

Thanks for your help. This is a mystery to me.

Right speaker was the reference speaker in both measurements - In the Measurement window I left the Ref Output at the default (R) while changing the Output from L to R for the two measurements. I should also note that speakers are in a near-perfect isosceles triangle from the LP and the mic is at LP.

Here is a clearer image of the Impulse Overlay. Sorry about that.

It’s really strange. Was “Adjust clock with acoustic reference” ticked in preferences?

Yes.

Hi OCA,
Been without system so have been unable to new test filters until now.
VBA filter - LPF 48dB/oct @ 57Hz with -3.3 SPL offset in my system works really well.
Did have second thoughts on my floorstander speakers but have no worries now :wink:
Tap length is quite long 262k @ 48kHz sample rate - is that normal (not slowing thing’s noticeably so not an issue)
Thanks again for sharing.

1 Like

Loopback reference should not be ticked. That might be the cause?

Hi OCA. I unticked “Loopback Delay Reference is IR Peak”. I’m not sure it was an improvement.

I noticed that the settings in my IR Windows panel were different from what was in your video. I’m not sure how these were set, if they are default, if they are derived from the measurements… Maybe this is an issue?

Maybe it helps to clear the fog a little, if you describe how your measurement setup looks like, exactly.

1 Like

This is just REW’s way of noting that impulse response started at -575u as also seen in the graph.

BTW you can continue the process and create the filters, I don’t think it would make a difference.

Umik-1 USB mic @ 90deg (using the 90 Deb calibration file). 104” away from each speaker in isosceles triangle on level with tweeters.

Is that what you mean?

Are you using ASIO drivers? Can you post a copy of the information window for the measurement which looks something like this:

Maybe your system delay is too much for some reason.