Creating/editing Tidal only Playlists and playlists Grouping

I think that Tidal and Roon Playlists management is still a major issue in Roon and Tidal integration.
I’ll do an example of two disappointing situations.

I usually do a “best songs of xxx” playlist for each year that I want to be able to play them at home in Roon and with Tidal when I’m mobile ; let’s take “best songs of 2017” as an example.
First problem, I cannot add songs from Roon because it won’t sync to Tidal so I have to do it from Tidal app on PC or phone or tablet; this is no good because from Roon is much easier for the better GUI and also I could use bookmarks, tags or favorite and so created when listening to 2017 music.
Ok so I go with tidal and make that playlist but, wait a moment! in Tidal there aren’t all the songs the I’d like to include but I can’t add the local songs from Roon because I can’t edit my “Best songs of 2017” Tidal Playlist…:face_with_raised_eyebrow:
So I create a local copy called “Best songs of 2017 local” to edit it.
Second problem In the playlist page I have two playlists for each year and considering that I’m doing it from 1965 onward it’s such of a mess!! :disappointed:

I know that there are problems in two-ways playlists syncing between Roon and Tidal and that the Team is focused on the upcoming (?) on-the-go/offline version of Roon but I suggest two solutions that I think would be useful anyway.

1. For the first problem: Possibility to create from Roon “Tidal only playlist” with the possibility to add only tidal tracks and similarly to edit Tidal playlists (without making a local copy) with the ability of removing tracks and adding only tidal tracks so that the playlist can be synced back to Tidal; If anyone try to add a local song an error an error advice could appear.
  2. For the second problem: Possibility to group Tidal and Roon (including the local copy) playlists and/or create custom group/folder to have a more manageable Playlist screen when you have many playlists.

Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance!
Bye
Andrea

7 Likes

Agree with you! Roon already designates lists as Tidal only, they show up in the playlist area with a little icon. Roon just does not let us EDIT Tidal only lists (like Sonos does).

I share similar use case of wanting to use Tidal playlists when remote.

Rob.

1 Like

I agree. I t would be great to be able to add tracks, albums from Roon to Tidal playlists.
In addition Also, when you favourite an artist/album/track in Roon it would be nice to if it appears in Tidal as well.

1 Like

I don’t know if this has been discussed somewhere else but, if it’s so, I’d like that someone from the team tell us something if they are working on fix this huge limitation in Tidal integration. Given the fact the Tidal integration is one of main Roon feature I think the Roon must have the possibility to manage such a basic feature like managing Tidal playlist. It’s just not fair that Tidal and Roon subscribers have to go forward and backwards from Roon and Tidal application to create and edit a playlist!
PS Does anyone knows if this limitations in playlist managing exist also with Qobuz?

2 Likes

@support, maybe Roon can share some insight?

1 Like

@support Anyone?

Hello @Andrea_Tacchetti & @jaguone,

Thank you for the feedback here. We are considering making some changes to this area of the App down the line, but I cannot specify any timelines. At the present time this is how the TIDAL/Qobuz playlist sync works in Roon.

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

@noris Thanks for the answer!

@support: Any updates to the playlist feature that relevant to this thread?

I’m a relatively new Roon user, and I’ve already found this lack of playlist integration a significant issue when using my mobile devices.

1 Like

Hi @James_Henson,

There is no update to this feature request that I can share at the present time. The product team and devs keep an eye on this category, so if this feature is of interest to you, please do let us know your specific use-case here. Thanks!

I think my use case is this:
Enable user to update their TIDAL playlists via ROON. For example, when I’m in ROON and I find an album or song that I like, give me the ability to add that song/album to TIDAL playlist, instead of just a ROON playlist.

AND give me the ability to play Library, Tidal or ROON playlists via the ROON client.

This is one of my biggest pain points, I have two different sets of playlists, Roon and Tidal. There already IS Tidal only playlists you just can’t edit them.

When you go to add a song to a playlist Roon only shows Roon-based playlists- it knows which are which!

I hope this gets some attention!

1 Like

Both Sonos and BluOS allow editing of Tidal playlists, so the Tidal API clearly allows it, and there is no technical reason Roon cannot do it. So it comes down to a lack of priority.

Here’s another use case for a #roon:feature-requests When listening to Roon Radio, you hear a track you like and want to add it to a playlist.

After following some magic recipe (3 buttons, ignore the “Add to playlist”, instead add Track to library, then search to find said track “in library”, then 3 buttons again and Track add to playlist) you can add the track to a Roon playlist. You then have to open Tidal and do yet another search to find the same track in Tidal and then add to Tidal playlist. All while hoping the track is still playing, or you have to then go to the queue, to get the name/artist/album info to make sure you are searching for the exact same track on Tidal

This masochism alone has turned me off recommending Roon to anyone as it’s just inexplicable for a mature application

7 Likes

Yes, this is very big deal for me. Really clunky to swim around in Roon, find what I want to add to a playlist, but then have to switch to Tidal, look it up there, add it to a Tidal playlist. Repeat. Is there at least some way to export Roon’s playlist to some playlist format to then import into Tidal? One more point: I’ve had alot of success with Soundiiz getting my paid Tidal list sync’d to a Spotify list which I can then share out with friends who have a paid Spotify subscription. This is also how I moved a dozen years of Rhapsody/Napster playlists from that paid service over to Tidal because Tidal integrated with Roon. Anyway, there must be some way to make sharing into or out of the Roon playlists possible. Thanks for any help.

4 Likes

Good morning
Any news regarding the issue between Tidal and Roon playlists?

Thanks

1 Like

Hello. Still nothing. Really disappointing.

2 Likes

Why do you do this, so that it is both in your library AND on a playlist? It’s not technically needed although I can see why you might.

I’m very (a little more indeed…) disappointed that after almost 3 yers after this post nothing changed in playlists and I’m not talking about details or strange requests but about a key feature for a music software like Roon that need a lot of improvements.
In addition we had only a few words from developers without any specific description of the improvements and a undetermined timeline. As I said before you cannot say that you have a complete integration with a streaming service if you haven’t a proper playlist integration.
I hope that we would see changes in Roon in the next major release but however I would like to hear some words from the team about this: do you think that Roon playlist management is good enough for Roon and at the same level of another great streaming services integration features that Roon has?

2 Likes

It’s a weird quirk resulting from Roon’s flawed Tidal integration. There appears to be two types of references toTidal songs - one that’s part of your library and one that’s not. Both of these reference types can be added independently to a Roon playlist - even if they both point to the exact same Tidal song. A library reference will track play counts and heart tags. The non library reference will not.

If a Tidal song (not on your library) is playing on Roon radio, then “add to playlist” adds the non library reference. OK - once you know this, you might be tempted to “first” add the song to your library, and “then” add it to a playlist, however that is also wrong, because Roon radio is still playing the non library reference which is what will get added to the playlist. So you have to “first” add the song to the library, then “search” for the song, then find it in your library, and then add the library reference to a playlist!

All this could be avoided if Roon simply said “Add to Playlist” implies “Add to library” and performed both functions. This would simplify the user interface and also make this consistent with only library references in playlists with consistent functionality (play counts, hearts etc)

5 Likes

I’m tracking and agree!

I source playlists from all over and have thousands of playlist entries that are not songs in my library… no favs and no play counts!

1 Like