Credits: list view is necessary

I could not agree more and the credit list of previous builds had a lot more hyper linking which was useful and a great way to see who played, or worked on a lot of other albums. Please bring this feature back Roon!

2 Likes

What is going on with this? Is there any chance that Roon will revert to a list view? I canā€™t see any advantage at all of the bubbles. Itā€™s a shame to have lost so much information and functionality.

Preference aside, which functionality is lost?

Being able to scroll through a comprehensive list of information about an album. I like finding new music via production credits and most of the time I cannot see that information any more.

Iā€™m confused. I can see that one prefers at least occasionally a list view. (There are still ways to get it, though)

However, I donā€™t see any missing information, itā€™s all still there for me, and Iā€™m quite picky about my credits, including production credits, and did a lot of editing for certain artists/albums. What exactly is it that your are missing?

Yeah, it was news to me that you can still see a list in slideshow. I donā€™t know what that is. In my experience, with the bubbles there is much less information available than there was previously under the list view. UI wise, I donā€™t see how the bubbles are in any way an advantage.

I still donā€™t get it, but I guess itā€™s useless if you are not willing to provide a concrete example.

As far as I can tell, if an album has, say, a credit role ā€œMixingā€ by ā€œJohn Doeā€, it is displayed with the bubbles just as much as with a list. If a role applies only to certain tracks, the text under the bubble says ā€œx Tracksā€ as a clickable link.

A track credit list is in each trackā€™s ellipsis menu under View Credits. An album credit list is, IIRC, shown when you are on the ā€œcurrently playingā€ screen* and click the buttons in the top right corner.

* Not sure what the current name for this is. Start Play for an album, then click the album cover in the bottom playing bar. Then you get to this screen and there should be several buttons in the top right corner.

You can access album credits in a list view on the current playing screen? I would like to know how to do that!

The best I can do right now is what I wrote above, but thatā€™s based on memory as Iā€™m currently not home (and Iā€™m not using this all the time as I donā€™t have big issues with the bubbles, so my memory might be shaky)

The information is easier to read and find in a list. Pictures are extraneous and unnecessary information, that slow accessing the wanted information. I access credits to find a specific information, i.e who is playing saxophone. With a list, I can quick jump to Saxophone see the name, click link. With pictures, I have to read each and every one in the whole credit page to find out who might be playing saxophone, since the credits arenā€™t sorted to role.

Additionally, with a list, the information was in the center so scrolling through a long list meant, I didnā€™t have to move my eye focus (left/right) just vertically. Going back and forth and filtering out pictures is more eye and mental strain, given the weight between Picture and Text.

The goal of the 1.8 credits was to make it a place for users to ā€œbrowseā€. I donā€™t want to browse, I want my information fast. If I wanted to see artists pictures Iā€™d click on the artist page.

@cass_fisher Start a track playing, open the Now Playing screen, click the gear menu (top right), make sure Track Credits is ON. Then click on the Track Credit icon.

1 Like

Thatā€™s all fine to prefer a list, and there should at least be an option. I acknowledged this in my first reply.

However, @cass_fisher is claiming that information is missing due to the bubbles, not just harder to find. I am not seeing this and have asked 3 times for an example, in vain.

With pictures, I have to read each and every one in the whole credit page to find out who might be playing saxophone, since the credits arenā€™t sorted to role.

Canā€™t you sort by role top right in the credit list? Not sure as Iā€™m not home. And canā€™t you filter for ā€œsaxophoneā€?

I didnā€™t get that, but, I donā€™t think so either. And an example would be great, I completely agree. There is a level of grouping going on in 1.8, that might have an error. If so, that would be great to find to get cleared up.

In the list form, if someone played different instruments, then they were listed under each instrument separately, because the list was sorted and separated by Credit Roles. So, if Cyndi Lauper sang and played keyboards, she would be listed under both Vocal and Keyboards. It is possible, as I have never tested for it, that a credit role might be getting dropped in the 1.8 credit grouping under each artist picture.

You cannot sort by role. You can open up a filter box and filter by Role or Credit. But, trust me, that is way slower and many more clicks, then just visually scrolling down a centered list. When 1.8 came out, I presented my arguments along with comparative search timings as my use case.

Maybe I misunderstood, but first

When I asked how, because I can see all production information

Ok, I see regarding sorting. I have been mostly interacting with list view recently because I have been editing and checking a lot of track credits recently

1 Like

@Suedkiez If I was able to get an album credit list view, I could make the comparisons that you are asking for. Short of that, I donā€™t see how to provide examples of missing information. Perhaps I am wrong, but my impression from a year and a half ago is that many of my albums had more detailed information under the credit list view.

Great, thanks. And is something actually missing for the same album (if you compare list and bubbles), as opposed to just harder to see/find with bubbles?

My experience is simply that it depends on the album. Some have great metadata, some spotty, some have none. Did you look at the same albums a year and a half ago?

I canā€™t rule out that thereā€™s a bug that makes something disappear in some cases. Itā€™s just that I started with Roon quite exactly 1.5 years ago with 1.7, and have since been editing/adding credits for about 1000 albums and I have never come across it

I have added 1000 albums or so since 1.8. Maybe more of those albums have deficient metadata. I donā€™t know. I have a lot of albums in my collection like this Anthony Braxton album that are missing a significant amount of the credits info.

I havenā€™t added a thousand albums, I added and edited metadata to a thousand albums. Much of the music I listen to is small artists and it happens to me all the time that there is very little metadata, or none, or with errors.

Thatā€™s why I think that I would have noticed if any that I added went missing from the bubbles.

I believe that an optional list view for credits is a good idea. I donā€™t think that the bubbles are responsible for missing metadata

1 Like

Thatā€™s all the credits there are on allmusic.

1 Like

So maybe that is the answer. I have just happened to add a lot of music that has limited credit information on allmusic. I will keep an eye on that to see if that is the case.

1 Like

@Suedkiez, this seems like an example of what I was talking about. Roon does not have all the information on discogs on this album. I donā€™t understand why.

and here is discogs: