Critique my NUC build for core + storage

Plan is to install Linux, use this for both storage (upgrade from current Raspberry Pi + external USB drive), for Roon core. Library currently stands at 7,500 track, 66GB, though I’m only halfway through ripping my CD collection to FLAC.

Overkill? Any thoughts on running storage and core in this way?

I don’t want to spend on a separate NAS and intend to run the drives as RAID1 with weekly incremental backups to the old Pi+USB drive. I expect the NUC to perform some other general-purpose computing and NAS duties, and possibly host my Plex server (or could keep that on the Pi).

Intel NUC BXNUC10I5FNH1 (10th gen Core i5) $439.99

512GB PCIe Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $72.99

2 x 8GH DDR4 memory $67.98

2 x 2TB WD Blue 5400rpm SATA 2.5" HDDs $153.98

Total $734.94

I am not an expert here but I have read in other posts that 10th gen NUC not yet supported for ROCK due to “Ethernet issues”.

1 Like

That’s right there’s no support for 10 yet.

I’m also interested in building NUC with 10 gen intel… anyone knows what time it will get support for Rock?

No and roon won’t comment.

But really nothing? Its more like weeks, months or years? :wink:

They won’t comment as they won’t know how long it will take. Apparently there is a problem with the Ethernet in the device itself.
Will that need Intel do do a fix or the chip manufacturer or a software fix to the bios or…

Interesting thanks, I didn’t see that. Well, I guess 9th gen may save a few bucks. However I am planning to use a general-purpose Linux distro rather than ROCK as I want to do things other than just Roon Core with this machine, so maybe it won’t matter?

TBH I have no idea as to other distros, Not my thing.

If I was going to build a NUC, I would use the most powerful that is listed as supported by Roon. Why open a potential can of worms?

The thing is, the previous generation is out of stock, and only 10 genes are currently available

My understanding is the ethernet compatibility issue is with ROCK. Windows or Linux will work:

Let’s check with @Rugby

Yes the ethernet will definitely work with Windows 10 as you would just load the drivers that come with the NUC if Windows didn’t see it immediately (doubtful). Linux requires a bit of research as one version may work and another not. I would research the NUC/Linux version combo before the purchase of the specific NUC model.

1 Like

Did the adapter resolve the issue for you, @grossmsj? If so, that sounds fine. USB 3.0 / Gigabit ethernet adapters are only about $25 and it’s going to be hidden anyway in any event.

Sorry if I’ve given the wrong impression, but I don’t have a NUC10. Mine’s the NUC8i7.

The 10th gen chassis won’t hold two SSD’s in addition to the m.2 drive. If you need 4tb storage internally, you will need to stretch to buy a single large drive for about $450.

I would get a 4 tb external USB drive instead, actually.

@Mike_Rubin where do you get this info (space in the chassis)? I’ve found it hard to source data for exactly this kind of question. Thanks for pointing out out.

Re capacity, I envisage 2TB being sufficient; I was planning to run RAID1 for resilience, as well as scheduled incremental backups to a remote device. I guess that’s off the cards then. Maybe a small desktop case is where this is headed. Or maybe RAID is overkill if I have automatic backups.

I prefer building a mini PC rather than using a NUC, gives me more control in parts used. More cooling options, hello Noctua, and a real desktop CPU rather than a mobile version.

1 Like

I know because I own one for use as my network music server. :slight_smile: On mine, I have a 500gb m.2 and an empty 2.5 inch 1tb ssd for “storage.” (I had the latter lying around, so I put it to a use here, but I probably won’t store anything of substance on it.)

There’s this, too, at the bottom: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/boards-kits/nuc/nuc10-performance-kits-mini-pcs-brief.html

The only difference between the taller and shorter cases is that the former has space for the additional ssd or hdd and the latter just has space for the m.2.

RAID isn’t really a backup solution in the conventional sense since both drives in RAID 1 always will have identical contents and can’t be accessed individually, so you probably still will need external backup. I use a RAID 1 NAS for fail-safe storage, plus three local USB drives attached to my main computer for local backups and cloud backup for off-site storage. If you stay with a NUC rather than something larger, I strongly suggest that you find at least one external backup destination.