Cure for an earworm?

Over the weekend I watched “On Her Majesty’s Secret Service”, one of only three Bond movies worth re-watching IMHO. Unfortunately the somewhat over-extended ski chase scenes have this nifty score by John Barry, riffs on his Bond theme, and I can’t get it out of my head! I’ve been humming it all week!

Help! What can I listen to to displace this earworm?

3 Likes

Not sure it will help - but the Propellerheads version of the OHMSS theme tune might take you somewhere interesting…

And the Propellerheads track with Shirley Bassey singing - History Repeating Itself is a good followup too.

I think both came from being asked to contribute to an album of James Bond covers.

Composer Gavin Bryars picked that as one of his desert island disks!

1 Like

Don’t seem to by on Qobuz - so here are some YouTube links:

2 Likes

Anything by Justin Bieber will do, then anything stuck in your head will be a blessing

@RBO thinking of you here :rofl:

However, this is really annoying

4 Likes

Gotta say, Barry is a master craftsman. Swooping soaring horns and violins match the swooping soaring skiing down a Swiss alp, punctuated with machine-gun percussion as the bad guys almost catch up, and scream vocals as Bond pitches a henchman off a cliff here and there.

1 Like

John Barry

James was Horner and still is Newton Howard. Jerry was Goldsmith. And another John, of course, is Williams.

AJ

1 Like

I have that very album

1 Like

Thanks. Fixed.

I must have been thinking about James Barry, or possibly James Matthew Barrie.

AJ

1 Like

It’s very annoying. Just keeps swooping around in my head… “Dah dah, dah da dah dahhh, dah dah, dah do dah dahhh, …”

Great chase scene though. Skis first, the “Escape from Piz Gloria”, then that red Cougar, then onto the stock car track, Diana Riggs’ character driving with determination, the tip of her tongue sticking out, bashing out other drivers left and right, then out into the blizzard, the bad guys chasing in a big Mercedes. Finally into a cow shed for the night of respite and stolen passion, but when the bad guys find them in the morning, back onto the mountain in skis, chased down into an avalanche triggered by Telly Savalas! Good grief!

Here – you might as well suffer too. Horns! Bassoon? Trombone?

1 Like

AJ

I may have to get that album.

For a more modern take, David Arnold is/was the heir to the John Barry and James Bond legacy.

AJ

1 Like

Yeah, KD Lang really rocks that song. But “Tomorrow Never Dies” doesn’t make my list of three, despite Michelle Yeoh (the best thing about it). Ridiculous BMW ad placement throughout. Teri Hatcher?! Directed by Roger Spottiswoode, whose earlier hits included “Turner & Hooch” and “Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot!” Strictly amateur hour.

One of my favourite soundtracks (apart from that song by Nina!). My wife and I stayed in Mürren some years ago, and took a cable car up to the Piz Gloria restaurant used in OHMSS. The folk who run it still make a big thing of the film all these years later.

Michael

I should order one for the office :rofl:

2 Likes

I’m curious as to what the other two are, I’ve got a massive soft spot for You Only Live Twice.

I dunno, maybe we should take a poll? List all the Bond movies, give everyone three votes, and see which come out on top?

1 Like

Somebody’s done that and you win :wink:

1 Like

The top 3 in that poll are my three, as well. So much for iconoclastic. :rofl:

Looks like the poll was pre-Skyfall. I didn’t like the first half of that, but the second half was OK, with the resurrection of the old DB5 from Goldfinger.

1 Like