D2 MQA settings

So, if you are not using Tidal, thus no MQA, should MQA be set to off in the Lumin setup ?

I don’t remember what is in ROON for MA, any idea what that should be set at with no MQA, since we are talking about it ?

If and only if you’re not using Tidal, you’re not streaming those few Qobuz albums that actually contain MQA, and you’re never going to listen to MQA CD rips, then you can set Lumin MQA to off via Lumin app.

If and only if you hate MQA for some reason should you disable Roon MQA Core decoder, otherwise it should normally be enabled.

I’d like to add that unlike many other MQA DAC, MQA-enabled Lumin does not apply MQA filter on non-MQA music. Leaving MQA setting to On absolutely does not affect non-MQA music digitally.

1 Like

Oh, did not know Qobuz had any at all !

So that said, does it effect anything just left on ?

If I decided to have engaged, what would the best settings be between the D2 and Roon ?

1. Qobuz subscriptions questions

2. It does not affect non-MQA digital music

3. Roon MQA Core decoder should be enabled. MQA Capabilities can be set to Renderer Only. Lumin app MQA setting should either be MQA Analog output or MQA Digital output, for the D2 analog output and the D2 BNC output respectively.

So, if I wanted to order up a few MQA CD’s to try, I can just rip them with my favorite software like any other disc, and play them with ROON / Lumin and it will pickup the MQA from the rip ?

Thanks,
Wayne

Yes. The rip must be in a lossless format such as FLAC, and your Roon version has to be Build 536 or newer.

In Lumin app, your MQA mode should be set to MQA Analog Output, if you’re using the Lumin analog output (XLR or RCA).

Hi again, So I have the Lumin set right, ROON MQA enababled. On Lumin Device setup in ROON, this is where I change to Renderer only ? It currently set at Decode and render ?

Yes. Don’t worry about the default.

Thanks. I responded elsewhere to a discussion we were having on the Lyngdorf and the D2

As far as this goes I found a Japanese Rickie Lee Jones MQA CD, so I want to try it verse the standard original redbook I have ripped, which on it’s own is pretty good.

Thanks. I responded elsewhere to a discussion we were having on the Lyngdorf and the D2

As far as this goes I found a Japanese Rickie Lee Jones MQA CD, so I want to try it verse the standard original redbook I have ripped, which on it’s own is pretty good.

When you have done the comparison, please tell me which version you prefer.

Hello, I am using Roon and a Lumin D2 as a DAC streamer. Regarding the MQA I read that it was better to indicate the Lumin as render only in Roon. So should I enable the first level Core decoder in Roon in this case? thank you.

As long as the Core decoder is turned on, you can just leave it as Decoder and renderer if you wish - this will still do the first unfold via Roon, which allows use of Roon’s DSP with MQA (and may or may not confer a sonic advantage by offloading the MQA decoding to the Core).

You can of course always check what’s going on via the signal path.

Yes please enable MQA Core decoder, and set the D2 to Renderer only.

Ok thank you,
With the Lumin set to renderer only and the first level core MQA decoder in roon enabled, OFS is displayed on the Lumin.
When I turn off this first level core MQA decoder is showing MQA on my Lumin display but there may be no difference. I don’t use Roon’s DSP.

This is normal. The digital bit output is the same both ways, regardless of display.

Ok, and the interest of activating the first core level decoder in Roon is to be able to use the DSP settings with MQA and to unload the Lumin of this task? The restitution will be the same as with the first core level turned off in Roon?

To let Roon Core does more processing, and the endpoint does less.

Ok then the Lumin D2 as decoder and renderer is equivalent to the renderer only when the MQA Roon Core decoder is enable?

When the Roon Core decoder is turned off and the Lumin D2 as renderer only is equivalent to the Lumin as decoder and renderer?