DAC options for Roon Arc in a car without an AUX input jack

Hi, I just purchased a car bur discovered it doesn’t have a mini-jack or an RCA R/L input. Are there any DACs that can provide Hi-Res through the USB-C input? The car is equipped with Apple Car Play but I believe that limits the music to 48 Hz. In my previous car, I used an AudioQuest Cobalt Dragonfly with the Apple Camera adaptor into the AUX mini-jack. Any suggestions appreciated to preserve Hi-Res listening.

I believe it highly likely that the USB-C port of the car is designed to be a USB master device in order that you can read (pull) media off of a USB stick.

As such, it is highly unlikely to function as a UAC class 1 or class 2 device so that audio can be ‘pushed’ to it. As a consequence, I would imagine that Apple Car Play or just plain bluethooth are your only options.

In a car, I would not worry too much about high res audio anyway. The noisy environment would mean that you would be very unlikely to be able to hear any difference.

2 Likes

Thank you for the input Wade. Mark

In a car? Basically Nope, depending on the vehicle. Even if you had an Aux input in new cars it gets re-digitized so it can be mixed with the audio notifications.

Now, older cars prior to voice systems have direct Aux IN to AMP out, my old Mustang V8 convertible was like that.

Thanks! I thought this was “mission impossible” so thanks for confirming. Maybe Harman will incorporate Roon Arc compatibility into future auto sound systems. I have an HK system in my new car.

So it’s a “beeemer”?
i have an old F11 Touring myself, and i must say the audio is undoubtedly crap… (Not the improved Harman Kardon systsem of the augmented models)
But then again, i mostly listen to spolen word, news, blogs and similar. High fidelity is not my prime interest while driving…

I used to be able to listen to hi res in my car with a PONO. Such a frustrating device, slow and buggy, not quite enough processing power. But when it was working properly, the sound was fantastic. I connected it through an aux jack into a Blaupunkt head unit. The PONO is gone and I now use ARC with an iphone and it works much better than my PONO, but doesn’t sound as good. I really liked the sound of hi res while driving.

I felt it made an audible difference in my last vehicle. Perhaps Harman will add Roon ARC ready in the future.

My pono functions fine, never had an issue. And it sounds great with my Challenger.