DAC or Combined DAC Streamer (not just a streamer) What's good?

I’ve been using the original Matrix Element X for a couple years. It integrates streaming, DAC, and preamp functions. Usually, I use an ultraRendu or a Mac Mini to feed the Element X via USB (so, in effect, I’m bypassing the Element X streamer). This is to take advantage of DSP capabilities I can only get through the USB-attached devices, not because the Element X isn’t a perfectly good network-attached DAC (and streamer). Is it a very good preamp as well? I think it is, although I’m curious about any improvement I might notice by adding a dedicated preamp (like the Benchmark LA4) between the Element X and my power amp (a Benchmark AHB2).

I take it none of the DSP you’re doing is available inside roon? As I’ve found the matrix to sound better via its streamer than via USB. Likely because the streaming portion connects to the DAC via i2s.

I’ve yet to find a digital preamp I actually enjoy. I’ve heard a bunch from bel canto, auralic, antelope etc and I’ve always found the sound more full bodied and the soundstage much larger with a proper pre.

I’ve tried Roon upsampling and PEQ. Usually, the DSP I do is either HQPlayer (upsampling, filtering) or BAACH4Mac. Although I’m not strongly wedded to one approach. And sooner or later I may try connecting a “proper pre”. Meanwhile the largest soundstage I’ve experienced is with BAACH4Mac (spatial audio processing on my USB-attached Mac Mini) but it’s not consistent across recordings and using it is a bit fiddly.

I tried a few things from Auralic, Denafrips, PS audio, and ultimately found that in terms of overall balance, I’m better just sticking to my Matrix Audio Element I for now. Some were warmer, but lacked bite. Some seemed more laid back but were just boring to listen to. Some had smoother treble and lovely soundstaging, but zero bass impact.

Ultimately the Matrix I have is the best “all rounder” from all of them, and was the only one that didn’t make me feel like I was missing something. I suspect unless I want to pay Chord Dave / DCS bartok money, my wallet is best left closed.

1 Like

I suspect that your sonic impressions are influenced by the fact that the Matrix is to all intents and purposes technically perfect.

I’m also not entirely convinced that Chord Dave / DCS Bartok money will buy you anything that you don’t have already.

4 Likes

You’re most probably correct

But did you try Naim? Might want to try the Atom HE for something different. I had a Matrix Mini-i Pro when my totally obsolete (2004) Naim Unitiqute went off for a service last year. The Matrix, for what it is, sounded really good, but for me too much emphasis on detail and being ‘technically perfect.’ Slotting the Naim back in was like returning to a pair of beloved slippers (both run through the same vintage Naim amp). Not perfect, but more musical and comfortable listening for longer periods of time. That said, I could have easily carried on with the Matrix in ignorance, a great brand and value.

1 Like

I did fancy trying one of the bigger naim streamers. I may yet give one a go

I bought the Naim Uniti Atom HE , but I am totally headphones. Its great and beautiful (in the eye of the beholder).

It will stream anything and is butch enough to drive pretty much any headphone, i use a 300 ohm Sennheiser HD800 on balanced

Highly recommended especially if you are serious about headphones :headphones:

1 Like