DAC or Combined DAC Streamer (not just a streamer) What's good?

oh for sure, but its pretty stripped back. It doesnt run anything it doesn’t need to. as you say, not much in it most likely, especially if you’re running CLI only in a linux distro.

I certainly would not rule out the Lumin T2. This thing sounds fantastic with all kinds of music and is a rock solid Roon endpoint. It sounds incredibly rich but detailed and not overly warm, with plenty of punch when needed, and with the right material throws a phenomenal 3D soundstage. I’m sure there are bargains to be had right now, with the T3 having been released recently - e.g. the dealer I bought my T2 from is discounting them (brand new) by 25%. Sure, it was a fairly expensive purchase, but I have never regretted it for a second.

3 Likes

If you can audition one, try a Benchmark DAC3. Besides being ridiculously neutral, they’re completely unfussy about the front end.

I took the black R26 and the build quality is so good that no one will think about the 80s ;). In the end I bought mine at Amazon so I can give it back easily. The german distributor has not answered my Emails two times so I thought it is the easiest way to order the streaming dac renderer at Amazon. I also got a Volumio Rivo pure streamer so I was able to feed other DAC’s as well with the same signal. The R26 was simply the best and had that bass my Audionet ART G2 has with a lot more Soundstage and mikrodetails. I had also the chord qutest here that was nice and to my ears better then the Lumin X1. But in the end you have to try it at home.
Cheers
Christian

1 Like

Agreed re: the roon interaction. I demod a D2 for a while, and while I didn’t like it in my system, I did find it well built and fantastically smooth with roon.

FWIW, as someone who doesn’t think that the streamer component lends any audible signal (count me in the bits-is-bits camp), I like having separate streamer and DAC because it makes it easier for me to switch out my DAC - my (Ropieee) streamer just sits there as I switch out DACs. However, for those who DO think that the streamer can impart an audible effect, they would also, I presume, support the idea of separates so that one could distinguish between the effect of the streamer and the DAC.

Anyways, for me it’s much more convenient to think about the digitial domain (streamer), transition (DAC), and analog (interconnects/preamp/power amp/cables/speakers) as separate. I’ve had plenty of devices in each segment go bad over 3 decades of semi-serious to increasingly serious listening. Those items which I can make closer to commodities (for me, streamer, 12 gauge speaker cables with my own banana plugs) enable me to devote more time & effort to the rest. But everyone is truly different.

1 Like

Yeah I’m in the bits are bits camp too and couldn’t care less about the streamer side. I just like them in one box as it’s neater. Same reason I prefer integrated amps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Update on this one. I decided I’m sticking with the Matrix for now. I auditioned a few more possibilities up to around £3000 and frankly none of them bettered the matrix in any significant way. Some were better in specific ways, but as a whole, didn’t gel.

Tried an auralic altair, it was a smoother but also dull. Sounded flat and lifeless, it also for some reason made my system sound smaller and more dry. It was competent, but not a fun listen.

The vega went the other way and was just too forward and in my face.

Ps audio was way too warm and was down the denafrips pontus avenue. In fact the PS audio made the pontus look like an absolute bargain of a DAC.

In defence of the pontus it manages to still sound fun and fast and engaging even thought it’s clearly rolled off in the top end. It was the only one of the bunch I’d actually have considered keeping.

Having compared my matrix to a DCS Rossini and being frankly stunned how similar they were, I think I’ll just call it quits and stay where I am!

5 Likes

I don’t think anyone can say that you didn’t give it a go.
That’s an admirable amount of effort to go through.

Which Matrix Audio do you have?

1 Like

Element I

Having even inserted it into a system containing Wilson yvettes and the Rossini, it held its own well!

It’s as well being kept!

1 Like

@David_Crosbie1, all 3 Element 2 models are still being discounted in the Roon Store as part of the Black Friday promotion, as of today, Nov. 28, 2022. You earlier considered higher tier models. I am curious what made you rule them out? Roon Store Promotions

I found this thread because Element series appears to have ticked a few of the boxes that I am looking for. Thanks.

Because frankly they don’t seem to offer anything realistic over the unit I have. The M is the only one I’d really fancy at the moment, as I simply don’t need the functionality of the P or X.

But the only real difference between the I and M is the internal linear power supplies in the box. I can’t imagine this makes any sonic difference given the I already measures with noise thresholds well below human hearing.

Also I’m in the UK, so roon store not much use

Thank you. Had the model I2 come with the trigger switch, it would be perfect for me. I am trying to declutter my setup and add a real streamer with preamp function. Without the trigger, I wouldn’t be able to power up my amp remotely.

A shame, as itreally is a far better DAC than it has any right to be for the money. I can’t find better for anywhere near the same kind of cash. The fact that (to my ears anyway), it was only consistently bettered by a DAC costing 25x as much, says a lot. But perhaps thats just the high end game these days, you can get “different” but not “better”.

The Matrix measures absolutely perfectly in every single way, is ruler flat, has zero noise, superbly low jitter, excellent linearity and puts out a perfect 4.4v into its balanced outputs. So if neutrality is your goal, its likely you’d never need a better DAC, ever.

1 Like

Thank you for the genuine high regards to the series, (and I probably have read all related threads.) Trigger switch is a must-have feature, and I had to face the music and ordered M2 with the current discount price.

I will finally graduate from Apple AirPort Express wireless streamer for my main system. My PS Audio dac/pre combo unit can go to the bedroom.

1 Like

Give the T+A dac 8 a listen, towards the top end of your budget. Roon tested as well.
They don’t use out sourced chips, everything built in house.
Sorry ,having now noticed you want dac/streamer and the dac8 may not be current, check T+A web site and see if anything there might suit your needs.
For the build and sound quality they are certainly not over priced.

4 Likes

The NAD C 3050 at $1300, plus the MDC2 Roon Ready card for it at $549, comes in under $2K.

2 Likes

That’s an amplifier isn’t it? I have an amplifier

Yes, I’m not sure what I was thinking, there.

There is a preamp output from it, as well as subwoofer output.

2 Likes