Database compatibility

Roon Core Machine

Dell computer using Windows 11

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I recently bought a new desktop computer and had all my old files transferred to the new setup.

When I try to run Roon it says my version of Roon is not compatible with my database.

When I installed Roon on the new computer it seemed to go through my music and find everything but at the end of it all I got the incompatibility message.

Did you take a backup of your library using the Roon backup facility before moving to your new computer ? If so, did you try to restore this backup ?

No I did not make a copy. Computer was over 10 years old and suffered failure I was not planning on so I had to buy new computer and had Best Buy Geek Squad transfer the data.

Hey @Ed_Littleton,

Ben with the support team here, thanks for your patience while we work through each thread!

With this issue, the chances are that you were running Roon 1.8, and when you installed Roon on the new computer, you installed Roon 2.0.

To confirm, you had not made a backup of your Roon database prior to setting up the new computer?

This help article may have useful information for you:

I’ll be on standby for your reply. :+1:

I can play any music (including recently added music) on ROON now to my Dragonfly system attached to a headphone amp.and then out to a basic amp for my computer room speakers. If I can do this doesn’t that rule out the version compatability question?? ROON does see my Chromecast attached to my main system but I cannot enable it.

Hey @Ed_Littleton,

Did you restore your new Roon core from a saved backup successfully? Are you still running into issues at this point?

I had an UNPLANNED computer replacement and did not have a saved backup of my ROON core. ROON core was transferred from old to new computer at Best Buy. Still cannot play any music (new or old) to my network (cannot enable device on network) although ROON sees my network devices and has an address for them. I can play both old and new music from my ROON core through a Dragonfly DAC to my headphones and to my computer room system. These devices are hardwired to my desktop core. When I try to play to my network I just get a ROON logo on my TV but it will not play anything.

Hey @Ed_Littleton,

Thanks for the additional info here. From what you’ve mentioned, it now seems less of an issue around your Roon database, and more so an issue between the handshake of Roon and your network devices.

With this, I’ll need more information on your network devices. I’d also give your router and network devices a hard reboot before anything else. :+1:

Are your network devices on the same subnet as your Roon core? This is a crucial piece of the puzzle to ensure they can talk to each other.

Roon Core Machine

Dell Inspiron 3910 computer with 16GB RAM and 1.5 TB of HDD capacity.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I cannot connect this new computer to my WIFi system. When I go to the Roon Audio it shows my Google Chromecast and gives an address. However, I cannot enable the Chromecast.

Roon also recognizes my 2 Nest WiFi points.
They cannot be enabled either but do show addresses.

When I try to enable any of these devices the only response I get is a Roon logo on my TV with the circling update wheel.

I can play audio correctly through my Dragonfly to my desktop system.
Suggestions?

Make sure your Dell is on private network, not public network setting. You may need a firewall pinhole for Roon and RAAT.

1 Like

Dell is on a private network. The firewall pinhole is beyond my expertise but I just don’t think that is the problem. ROON worked fine with my old system and all I’ve done is get a new computer to replace the old one. Just thinking it must be something exsy that I am missing.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.