Database in a mess after 880 upgrade

Hello, I understand there are already threads on post upgrade issues, i would like to (constructively) ask for support on the following:

1. The upgrade has ignored a huge amount of work i have done on fixing metadata (by manually editing, identifying etc albums). I cannot restore a back up because a back up will override the version to the previous one. What is the process for retrieving this ‘editing’ work?

2. I cannot see several albums I have added lately in my library. I checked and the files are in the right place on the storage disk. Why this and -more important- what i need to do to ‘see’ these files?

thanks in advance

Greg

just to give an example:

“Brahms: 3 Sonatas” was added last week. Searching Roon correctly identifies a local copy of this file

However, the album list fails to display this album. When searching locally nothing is found:

Since you’re asking for support, I’ve moved your posts into the Support category of the forum. In order to help with the diagnosis of your issue, can you give details of your setup, in particular, the hardware/software OS of the device running your Core?

For clarification, are you saying that you have upgraded all your Roon devices and the Core to build 880/882, and while Roon did not report a database error issue, you are not seeing recent edits, and some albums are missing?

That screenshot failing to show the Brahms album - is the Album browser showing it under a different title?

thanks.

Core: Antipodes EX, Version 1.8 (882)
Control Point: MacBook Pro, Version 1.8 (882)

For clarification, are you saying that you have upgraded all your Roon devices and the Core to build 880/882, CONFIRMED

and while Roon did not report a database error issue, you are not seeing recent edits, and some albums are missing? CONFIRMED

That screenshot failing to show the Brahms album - is the Album browser showing it under a different title? CONFIRMED. I tried searching with Album title, composer, performer as titles. I even manually edited the album title (i can retrieve the local version from the generic Roon search per my first screenshot) and searched by it - to no avail

Thanks. And if you set the Sort order in the Album Browser by date added (newest to oldest), it doesn’t show up near the top of the list?

Is the list showing any recently-added albums?

Oh, and the inevitable question - have you rebooted your Core and Control point? (sorry for asking the obvious)

No - date added is ALL messed up.

And I have rebooted twice

A do have a genuine question beyond potential flops with the current release:

When a back up is restored is the current software version overridden?

That is, can I do a “data only” back up or is is inevitable a “system backup”?

If the latter then all manual edits of metadata in Roon will be lost every time a new release is activated?

No. The backup is of the Roon database only; it is not of the Roon application software.

Can you explain in a bit more detail what you mean by this? Wrong order, albums missing, or something else entirely? Thanks. (the more detail the Support team has, the easier it is for them to diagnose the issue)

I think I was precise and gave a very clear example.

In the meanwhile, I notice that some of the missing albums start appearing. Perhaps the database takes several hours after the upgrade (more than 24 by now)?

At any rate, the albums that don’t have enough metadata to be identified by Roon and which I had manually identified *appear to have lost their edits.

Based on your clarification I will attempt to restore

Thanks this is immensely useful

Update: the restore fixed the issues. Thanks @Geoff_Coupe for the support

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.