Database issue on Mac Catalina

Same issue here on Mac mini running on macOS Catalina 10.15.7. My Roon setup was working perfectly yesterday (and has been for years). I updated to Roon 1.8 and I get this database/album loading issue. Years of experience in software development hints to me that this is likely a Roon bug rather than a true database issue.

Roon support, feel free to reach out need help running this down.

1 Like

It isn’t a good use of your customer’s time (en masse) to have them fumble though database backups in the hopes that something works. People’s systems were working fine until he update, so it is the likely change that caused the issue to appear. I have no problem running a debug version of the app to locate where Roon 1.8 is having an issue, or even give VPN access to my Roon server so that you can debug against it live in situ.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Database issue after updating

Hi @The_Leisurely_Loris ,

Can you please use these instructions to access your Roon logs and upload them here for review?

https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/collection/8i5239cc05950ac07456889838d9319545a82/external

Please let us know after logs have been uploaded, thanks!

I did a restore off a backup of my computer and the issue still occurs. So, I just uploaded all my Roon log files per your request.

BTW: I may have uploaded the same set of files twice.

2 Likes

Thanks for sending those log files over. I am seeing a different type of corruption than typical in your logs here. Can you please try the following?

• Restore the backup of Roon
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Find and open your Roon database
  • Navigate to /Library/Roon/Cache
  • Move the contents of the /Cache folder elsewhere, like your desktop
  • Try restarting Roon and verify if the issue still occurs

I just tried the above and get the same results “Unexpected error loading album. Please try again later.”

So, I uploaded the latest log file to the aforementioned URL.

Roon Core Machine

macOS 10.15.7 running on a Mac mini

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Wired Ethernet with music library on NAS

Connected Audio Devices

Various

Number of Tracks in Library

25K-ish

Description of Issue.

Note: Crossposted from the Roon 1.8 feedback thread.

The new Roon 1.8 update has incapacitated my Roon setup! :flushed:

After updating via Roon’s autoupdate capability, the app would no longer start properly and just showed the Roon “loading” icon ad infinitum. So, I downloaded the installer and replaced the copy on my Mac mini (which is running macOS Catalina 10.15.7). It progressed a bit farther but give me a “Unexpected error loading album. Please try again later. (NotAvailable)” message. The setup was working like a champ before installing the latest update. :frowning:

Roon support, let me know if you need help running this down. I’m technical and quite familiar with troubleshooting macOS

I used Activity Monitor to sample the Roon process and it looks like most of the app’s activity is in the loop that draws the animating “loading” icon (lots of NSOpenGL calls indicated that it is in a graphic drawing loop). Looks to me that whatever processing thread has bailed out abnormally leaving the UI stranded in a animation loop.

Hi @The_Leisurely_Loris

I don’t believe the latest logs came through properly, can you try to re-upload them (preferably as an archive - .zip/.rar)?

I just submitted the log modified today as a .zip file.

1 Like

Thanks @The_Leisurely_Loris,

I just wanted to confirm we got the logs. Our team will investigate and we’ll follow up on this thread.

Thanks!

I have backup snapshots of the Mac mini that I use for my Roon server, so it’s fairly easy for me to roll back the /Library/Roon and /Library/RAATServer folders to a version before I upgraded to the problematic build of v1.8 (880). What is interesting is the fact that rolling back both library folders and the Roon app itself to the snapshot earlier in the week almost gave me a working config. The pre-Build 880 Roon app would load my library, but it had forgotten all my devices and wouldn’t allow me to add them back. Maybe there is another preference file somewhere that needs to be rolled back as well?

So, right now I’m still dead in the water Roon wise until the team can figure out what has gone wrong.

BTW: I’ve been in the software biz for quite a while & have both seen and managed through some tricky user-impacting bugs in my time. Chalking this up to database “corruption” rings hollow for me as you can see that it is occurring on a variety of Roon platforms–different OSes, some with spinning disk HDs, some with SSDs, and some running on/off NAS. Corruption of data at rest is pretty rare, so there is likely some fragility in Roon’s database architecture or Build 880’s upgrade process that needs to be looked at very closely. It should be made more robust as customer data loss scenarios should be avoided at all costs.

Thank you for your patience here while I’ve consulted further with the team regarding your case.

On Friday evening, we released a new Roon update that addressed some false-positive messages of database corruption, where the database should have loaded but incorrectly the error was displayed.

Unfortunately, looking over your Roon logs, your case appears to be different and there is indeed corruption present, and our QA team has confirmed this.

In this case, it is best that we try to revert Roon back to the last working database from a backup and then continue with that restored database moving forward.

Can you please try to use one of your older backups to see if it loads properly and without the database error message? Let us know, thanks!

I ended up rebuilding my database in order to get Roon back up and running. However, now that Build 882 is out, I’ll try to revert to my previous database configuration from my backups. It’ll probably bee a week or so before I can do it as I’m away for the holidays.

1 Like

I finally had a moment to restore off the last pre-build 880 of my Roon database. And Eureka! The changes you made to the current build (884) of Roon allowed my database to upgrade correctly. So, after a considerable adventure, I’m now up and running with the database that includes years worth of metadata changes, playback history and playlists.

Thanks for working to solve the database upgrade sensitivities that build 880 had!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.