Database problems

Roon Core Machine

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro_Processor Intel(R) Core™ i7 CPU 980 @ 3.33GHz, 3334 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)_Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 24.0 GB

Networking Gear & Setup Details

BT Broadband

Connected Audio Devices

Chord Qutest Dac_ SPL Phonitor 2 Headphone Amp

Number of Tracks in Library

200,000+

Description of Issue

After a windows update the Roon APP disappeared & I had to re-install Roon. I then restored my Library from a backup which restores succesfully but then iI keep getting an error message after Roon updates it.

What’s there error message?

the error message is “there was an issue loading your database”

Your Backup is corrupted. Try to Restore an older Backup, if you have one.

Good luck.

i have tried this, no luck. Does this mean all the backups are corrupted?
I’m getting fed up with Roon!!
its a great product but i’m constantly having these issues.

Any other ideas besides corrupt library?

Also how do i get into settings to load a new backup, I’m assuming i need to delete the esxisting library & settings but I’ve no idea what file to delete.

So I keep having to re-install Roon!!

Thanks
Femi

After this last update, there are other people who probably feel this way. It looks like the update has uncovered ‘latent corruption’.

Don’t do anything until @support weighs in, but see this post.

Delete Roon’s database. It can be found here. Roon will create a new one. You can then get into Roon to Restore a Backup. If your database has been corrupted for a while then there’s a good chance all your Backups are corrupted also. If that’s true, then you have no choice but to start from scratch.

Roon’s been aware of the possibility for corrupted Backups for quite some time, but until now they’ve chosen to ignore the problem.

Many Thanks.

1 Like

Hello @Adeniyi_Ogunnaike,

Thank you for choosing to let us know of the issue you ran into, even if things that don’t go well seem to be piling up. We would love to help change that - thank you for the opportunity to do so :pray: .

A there was an issue loading your database message is generally connected to a corrupted database.

We explain a bit more about why this happens and what the steps to resolve it are here:

Please, let me know how it goes :pray:

Thanks for the response Rebeka.
But unfortunately none of this helps.
So how does the corruption come about &* how do we prevent it?

The database is created by Roon, Its not something the user ever needs to touch.

after restoring my library form a Backup, everything works fine until Roon says “THE NEW VERSION OF ROON YOU INSTALLED NEEDS A DATABASE UPDATE, this improves performance but can take a while, please be patient”

After the update i get the error"THERE WAS A PROBLEM LOADING YOUR DATABASE"

THIS APPLIES TO THE OLDEST & MOST RECENT BACKUPS SO ALL 10 ARE CORRUPT!!

CLEARLY YOU HAVE CHANGED SOMETHING IN THE UPDATE THAT RENDERS MY BACKUPS OBSOLETE,
THIS DEFEATS THE POINT OF HAVING A BACK UP & ROON NEEDS TO FIX THIS OR TELL US WHAT TO DO TO FIX IT.

I’M GETTING REALLY ANNOYED WITH THIS NOW!!

THERE ARE OVER 270k TRACKS & 22k ALBUMS IN MY LIBRARY. a LOT OF TIME & EFFORT WENT INTO CREATING FAVORITES, BOOKMARKS ETC. I CANT KEEP RE-DOING THIS!!

Unfortunately, I suspect that this isn’t the case. As has been mentioned quite a few times in recent weeks, Roon doesn’t seem to perform any integrity checks on the database during normal usage. The net result is that any (latent) corruption goes undetected, and is then backed up as per your backup schedule, gradually corrupting all your backups. This seems to continue until one of two things happen. First, the corruption becomes more severe, to the extent that Roon won’t run. Second (and I’m speculating here), some sort of integrity check is performed when the database is updated following an app update. Both cases seem to result in the dreaded ‘there was a problem loading your database’ message, and if you don’t have a good backup (i.e. one that’s free from corruption, latent or otherwise) you have no way to remedy the situation.

My condolences for your loss. It was only a matter of time before someone with beaucoup library curation was affected by Roon’s negligence and I guess that someone is you.

If it gets out in the wild that Roon can potentially lose years of a customer’s loving curation, then no amount of spiffy metadata or data mining will overcome that.

Hello @Adeniyi_Ogunnaike,

I couldn’t help but feel with you the pains of losing a carefully curated database as I was reading this thread :cry:

This can’t be an easy experience to go through. A better word is catastrophic and unfortunate. While I know apologies won’t really change the state of things, I want to express how sorry we are this happened.

The why behind this is quite accurately expressed not just by the help center article I shared, but by fellow community members. Thanks everyone for caring and sharing your insights.

Unfortnately, corruption itself is not “solvable”. Hard drives don’t last forever and they all eventually fail. This is especially pertinent when it comes to Roon, which relies on your hard drive to keep track of all your album art, edits, metadata, playlists, and so on.

There can be millions of objects written in your Roon database, and sometimes there are things outside of our control that can interrupt your hard drive’s ability to read and write data, leading to corruption. It could be failing, maybe the power went out, or something else.

What I would like to add is that our R&D team is actually looking into solutions for this. Implementing integrity checks for corruption would stop you from using Roon at all if corruption is detected. Doing this would prevent cases of latent corruption like you’re experiencing, and ensure that your backups are never corrupt. It is a good first step, even if I don’t have any timelines to share.

1 Like

Thanks Rebeka & all community members for advice \comments & suggestions.
guess I’m just going to have to live with it :frowning:
I dont think there is a problem with the hard drive its a brand new SS drive, however i did relocate the Roon folder from my C drive & used a symbolic link pointing to the new location.

This may have something to do with the problem but i was forced into this as i have too many programs installed on my C drive and was running out of space. Roon doesn’t give us the option of installing to a different drive.

Is this something your R & D team can look into as I’m sure I’m not the only one with a huge Library who might benefit from this.

Thanks
Femi

1 Like

Thanks. you live and learn I guess :slight_smile:

Hey @Adeniyi_Ogunnaike,

Thanks for being this understanding and for the idea you’ve shared! You should be able to point Roon to backup your data in a different drive than the C drive. It can be an external one, or even Dropbox:

:nerd_face:

Hi Rebeka,
unfortunate, but its looking like i may need to cancel my Roon subscription!!

Library all buggered again!! Only 3000 odd of 15,000 Qobuz albums are in my Roon library.

I suspect this may be a Qobuz issue as opposed to Roon but all these Library issues are ruining the experience.

Thanks
A.O

Hey @Adeniyi_Ogunnaike,

We’d be extremely sorry to no longer have you as a subscriber because of a glitch in Qobuz’ system, but we also acknowledge the impact this has on the Roon experience. We are so sorry :sweat:

Qobuz has confirmed that they’ve been working on some fixes on their end that will resolve this issue and they’re hoping it’ll be resolved soon. I can’t provide any specific timelines, but it’s definitely a priority for both us and Qobuz!

Thanks Rebeka.
If I’m honest, I don’t think I can live without Roon. I was just upset & sounding off as I’dd spent the whole weekend trying to figure it out.

I subscribe to both Tidal & Qobuz but I’m not a big fan of MQA. The Qobuz app is diabolical in every way & the sound quality is better through Roon.

So I’ll be here until a competitor builds an app that just works :wink:

1 Like

Hey @Adeniyi_Ogunnaike,

Thanks for your refreshing honesty :pray:

Fingers crossed :crossed_fingers: it won’t be long until Qobuz is back to its old self (or better) and things will work seamlessly with Roon, so Roon will be the app that just works :blush:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.