Database will not load after updating to Roon 1.8 (Build 831)

Roon Core Machine

Mac mini (Mid 2010), Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB RAM, 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD installed about 3 months ago.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Mac Mini hard wired to router - database issue, not networking

Connected Audio Devices

Optical out of Mac Mini to Amp. Database issue, not device related.

Number of Tracks in Library

Approximately 17,000 local tracks plus Tidal

Description of Issue

Database will not load after updating to Roon 1.8 (Build 831)

Please advise asap.

Thanks

I have done a database restore from a recent backup and same issue – database will not load. The system above has been 100% stable until updating to Roon 1.8 (Build 831).

If you are getting an ‘issue loading the database’, even after a restore, then see this post for the reasons.

Try Restoring a Backup as far back as you can.

Hi @Mark_Martin

I’m so sorry to hear about the trouble you’re having loading the Roon database. Typically, problems loading the database mean that it may have been corrupted at some point. We have more information about what can cause corruption and steps that you can take to recover your database here:

If you’re having any issues after following the recovery steps above, please let me know!

As an aside, right now our team is working on some changes that will help our customers detect corruption when it’s happening. If you don’t mind, I’m hoping you could take two minutes to send us your corrupt database. That way our team can analyze the type of corruption and prevent similar cases in the future.

Here’s how you can help:

1. Follow the recovery steps above
  2. Zip up your Roon_OLD or RoonServer_OLD folder (right-click it and select “Compress…”):
  3. Sumbit the .zip file to us through our Database Corruption Issues portal

Your participation will go a long way in helping our team improve corruption detection, so we’d greatly appreciate your help. :pray:

Hi @dylan , I have tried to restore the oldest backup I have which is from early July. It fails as well.
If you go back through my support history you will see that this has been on ongoing issue for me. I am once again not at all happy with Roon’s inability to detect corruption during the backup process. This post linked above basically sums it up I believe. And there are clearly many people in the same situation as me.

So I now really have 2 options – start again from scratch with a new database or rollback to the previous version. I have done that rollback and Roon is now working again for me. But clearly I cannot upgrade to any future versions as my database will fail to load and I will have to start from scratch again. I am open to any suggestions you may have, but I am really not happy with this situation.

Hey @Mark_Martin,

Please, accept my apologies on behalf of our entire team (including Dylan) for not having a chance to get back to you until today…:pleading_face:

We appreciate you sharing candidly and kindly how you’ve experienced the corrupted database… it is such an unfortunate event and it pains us to see the consequences :pensive: .

As much as I wanted to have a different answer, once a database is corrupted, there isn’t really anything we can do to bring it to a state where it can be restored after an update. This is very much a between the mallet and the anvil kind of situation: Roon works as is, but an update will put you in a position to start fresh…

While we cannot change the state of the database, I’m hoping it will help to know that our team is actively working in finding viable integrity checks to prevent this from happening again. Even if I do not have exact timelines to share, please, know, this is a priority for our teams :pray:

Hi @beka, thanks for replying – after a few weeks I really wasn’t expecting one. And thanks for confirming that I have no other options. I do find it extremely disappointing and surprising that Roon is unable to check database integrity during the backup process. Effectively, every daily backup that I have is corrupt, so that’s really not an adequate backup at all.
So I can update and rebuild from scratch but I will not know if the database has again become corrupt until some future update makes it evident. It doesn’t exactly inspire confidence does it?

Hey @Mark_Martin,

I’m very grateful for your kindness towards the pace of our interactions (I’m working on making it more alert :nerd_face:) and for candidly sharing your concerns.

You are right that, at the moment, there is no way of knowing whether a database has become corrupt… this is why one of the main issues we’re focusing on resolving is corruption. We’re actively working in developing integrity checks that are efficient and don’t burden your machine and, therefore, the way you experience Roon.

Focusing on backups in the meantime, is encouraged. Everyone tends to have their own backup strategy, but the main thing to consider is far back you are keeping your backups so, in the unfortunate event that this were to occur again, you have backups that predate the corruption.

For example, I have two types of recurring backups:

• A monthly backup that I keep 12 of, meaning I effectively have backups that date back an entire year
  • A weekly backup that I keep 4 of, meaning I have a months worth of more frequent backups

That might be a little much, but it ensures that if anything were to go wrong with my database I’d have a backup that predates the problem. Ultimately the backup strategy is up to you, but making sure that you have backups that go back a little ways can always be helpful!