Database woes (win 10)

Have had multiple backup failures over the past couple of days

today when I went to the overview page it took forever to load (roon logo spinning and spinning…) it seems not to want to sync with tidal (I can play tidal items in my library, but I get the endless spinning circle on Tidal items.

rebooted server and roon couldn’t load database. renamed database folder and restored backup but still having loading issues, freezing etc.

Can you give us a little more detail about what you mean by “backup failures” ?

Also, can you give us the details of your system, as described here?

Things will be a little slow over the next day or two with the holiday, but I’m sure we can look into this and get this working for you Derek – sorry for the trouble here!

I get notifications that automatic backups have failed.

I went back to an older backup and things seem to be a bit smoother. Tidal especially seems to be syncing correctly (not endlessly spinning ).

Will try a manual backup and see if it works.

Win10 (roon core) on a dell i7 workstation (8gb RAM). Local library (35k tracks)

updated some file info for on a single album (fixed a bad release date)and now I’m back to the db issues. Slow loads etc

and the album I edited has disappeared from artist/album/recent views (I can still find it thru search).

Closed roon and reopened and the db can’t be loaded (again).

started from scratch (again) and restored the working db. not sure what to do at this point. I cannot make any backups (all fail)

12/25 20:49:33 Warn: [broker/backups] unexpected error doing backup on FileBrowser.Entry: [W:] Media_3, WD My Passport 0820 USB Device : \roonbackups\RoonBackups: Sooloos.SynchronizationContextThreadException: In Broker:Media ---> Sooloos.SynchronizationContextThreadException: In Broker:Transport ---> Sooloos.SynchronizationContextThreadException: In Broker:Misc ---> System.IO.IOException: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

@support

uninstalled roon. cleaned all cache/db/temp files

reinstalled.

did not restore any db, just let roon find my library files.

backup fails

12/26 13:57:24 Warn: [broker/backups] unexpected error doing backup on FileBrowser.Entry: [F:] My Passport, WD My Passport 25E2 USB Device : \RoonBackups: System.IO.IOException: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.FileStream.ReadCore(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
   at System.IO.FileStream.ReadByte()
   at Sooloos.Broker.BackupCompute.<>c__DisplayClass12_1.<ComputeBackupFiles>b__1(String file, Boolean needs_copy)
   at Sooloos.Broker.BackupCompute.<>c__DisplayClass12_0.<ComputeBackupFiles>b__0()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Sooloos.Broker.BackupCompute.<ComputeBackupFiles>d__12.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Sooloos.Broker.BackupDestination`1.<StartBackup>d__6.MoveNext()

Hello @Derek_Wyman,

It sounds like your WD Passport drive has gone bad according to those errors. Can you please run the WD Passport Data Lifeguard Diagnostics Tool on it and see if there are any errors displayed afterwards? This documentation from WD provides more information regarding faulty drives. Please let me know your results when possible.

Thanks,
Noris

Will do. But, I’ve tried to backup on different drives (including the internal HD and it’s still a no go.

are the errors coming from the drive the db is ON or the drive I’m backing up to?

the db is on the internal.

Different drive same errors

[code]

12/26 22:02:18 Trace: [transport/audeze] picking preset lowlatency
12/26 22:02:18 Trace: [transport/audeze] picked null preset!
12/26 22:02:18 Info: [stats] 6004mb Virtual, 1042mb Physical, 285mb Managed, 1901 Handles, 82 Threads
12/26 22:02:19 Trace: [roonapi] [apiclient 192.168.1.104:49177] CONTINUE Changed {“message”:“Core paired”,“is_error”:false}
12/26 22:02:33 Info: [stats] 5993mb Virtual, 1035mb Physical, 286mb Managed, 1882 Handles, 79 Threads
12/26 22:02:43 Warn: [broker/backups] unexpected error doing backup on FileBrowser.Entry: [C:] Windows, Hitachi HUA722010CLA330 : \RoonBackups: System.IO.IOException: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.ReadCore(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
at System.IO.FileStream.ReadByte()
at Sooloos.Broker.BackupCompute.<>c__DisplayClass12_1.b__1(String file, Boolean needs_copy)
at Sooloos.Broker.BackupCompute.<>c__DisplayClass12_0.b__0()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
— End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown —
at Sooloos.Broker.BackupCompute.d__12.MoveNext()
— End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown —
at Sooloos.Broker.BackupDestination`1.d__6.MoveNext()[/code]

Hey @Derek_Wyman,

Thanks for trying a different drive. I am wondering if the Roon current database location could be damaged because of the disk, do you mind running a disk check according to these instructions or these instructions instead and let me know the results?

Thanks,
Noris

running another chkdsk now. (did a full chkdsk /r last week) WD utility didn’t find anything on the quick scans.

I am building a NUC to run ROCK and would like to figure this out so I don’t drag a bad DB over to the new build.

Would prefer not to have to start from scratch, but the fact that the backup fails on a clean install tends to tell me the db itself is corrupt, but…

Is there a way to move the actual db to a custom location?

I have been bad block errors which until now I didn’t link to the backup operations (I always had the scheduled backups happen right before the computer reboots at night so thought they were happening at boot.

Now looking at them I think if I matched the times they all match times I am trying to backup the db.

Now the million dollar question is there going to be anyway to save my db? when I restore it everything seems to work ok, but I don’t know what the bad block is effecting.

Hey @Derek_Wyman,

That million dollar question would be one for QA to answer :slight_smile: . Can you please send us your DB backup and I will ask QA to take a look (although please do note that it may take some time with the holiday season). I will PM you instructions on how to upload it to us shortly.

Thanks,
Noris

Hello @Derek_Wyman,

I just wanted to confirm with you here and let you know that we have received your backup and I have submitted it to QA for analysis. I appreciate your patience until I hear back from them regarding it’s integrity.

Thanks,
Noris

1 Like

Hello @Derek_Wyman,

I just hear back from QA and they were unable to open the backup you sent to us, it is possible that something went wrong during the upload to Dropbox.

You can send it to us again, but I think the better test here would be to try and load it on a NUC if you are still planning to build one and verify how it is working. QA commented that this seems like a hardware issue and seeing if there are any issues with the backup on the ROCK would give us a great data point.

Please let me know what you decide and how it goes with restoring to the NUC if you have built.

Thanks,
Noris

I loaded it onto the nuc and everything seems ok except for the same duplicate artists issue I had with the old db. All the other issues have resolved moving away from the bad hd I will upload a copy and send you the link.

1 Like