dCS Buffer vs. Roon Resync Delay?

Are these two features functionally equivalent? Both seem intended to give the DAC a chance to detect a sample rate/bit rate change, thus avoiding any unexpected noises. I ask because I run my Rossini with the buffer off (because it messes up video sync), and am wondering if I should add a resync delay via Roon. Any thoughts welcome.

They are not the same thing.
Resync delay is applied only when the audio format changes (from one track to another) and it is a “pause” between the initialization of the connection to the DAC (with the new audio format) and the start of the audio streaming. It helps with some DACs, if they lose playback for a short time when changing the format. If there is no audio format change, there is no delay.
The buffer is applied to the audio streaming itself (after the resync delay period, if it is also activated).
Both can be perceived as a pause between the play action and the start of the sound, but they are different pauses that apply in different conditions.

Thanks, that’s helpful! So far, I’ve not had any trouble running with the buffer off, so perhaps I won’t need either one. :slight_smile:

The most noticeable reason to use the resync is if you miss the first couple moments at the start of a track. I have a DAC that mutes when it detects a rate change. The time it takes to come off mute causes > 1 second delay before I hear music. Missing the first second plus of a track is annoying. I use a long resync to “fix” this.

If you’re not missing the start of tracks don’t bother with it.

1 Like