Dead RAAT after HDMI connection

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

MacMini, i5, Bootcamp, Win7, Latest Roon build

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

No network involved in this but wired Ethernet via ASUS switch.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

HDMI output to Oppo 103

Description Of Issue

I have done this before but I connected the HDMI out to the Oppo. Got only stereo because I forgot to tell Win that I wanted multichannel. Switched to multichannel output and the Mac crashed. Rebooted Mac and reloaded Roon. Now, Roon cannot find any output devices (was a long list) except AirPlay and, if I ask it to search again: (1) It may flash output devices for 2-3 seconds but then blanks, (2) still fails to find any, (3) an AppCrash message tells me that RAAT has crashed.

Deleted ROON, downloaded fresh Core, installed and ran with same results. No output devices and APPCRASH pop-ups.

Hi Kal (@mitr),

Can you please confirm that Roon is still allowed past your Windows Firewall? You can use these instructions to add the exceptions and the .exe themselves would be located in your Database Location/Application folder path. I would also add these exceptions to any Antivirus or other Firewall blocking applications you may have.

Can you let me know what exactly the output is from the message and what local time this occurred at? If you can share a screenshot and the logs from your Core by using these instructions, it would be useful info to have. The best way to get logs over to me would be via a shared Dropbox / Google Drive / Send.firefox.com link.

How exactly have you deleted Roon? Have you set the old database and RAATServer aside? If you only reinstalled using Windows Apps, I would also try setting the database aside, I can provide more specific instructions once I receive logs and you have checked the firewall aspect. Thanks!

Do these instructions apply to Win7? Why would a Roon crash change any of these settings?

I got the message several times and can evoke it by asking Roon to rescan for devices. Anything else will have to wait until next weekend when I will be at that house.

I went to Settings - Apps and Programs and clicked to have Roon uninstalled but kept the old database. I reinstalled " ✓Control ✓Core ✓Output" from a new download using Roon’s installer.

Hello @mitr,

It looks like something in the RAATServer configuration ended up in a broken state after this crash. I forwarded the reproduction steps you outlined to the QA team for further investigation.

As for getting you back up and running:

A) Ensure that any instances of Roon and RAATServer are closed.
B) Go to the %localappdata% folder in Windows Explorer and locate the RAATServer directory.
C) Rename the RAATServer directory to RAATServer_old.
D) Back in the %localappdata% directory, locate the Roon (or RoonServer) folder.
E) In the Roon folder, go to the Database\Registry\Core directory.
F) Delete any files beginning with endpoint or raat.

-John

1 Like

Thanks. I will give that a shot on Saturday.

Thanks. All’s working now although I have not tried to use the HDMI output to the Oppo yet.

1 Like

Hello @mitr,

Good to hear. Let us know if you run into any further issues.

-John

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.