Default to either "explicit" or censored version of albums/tracks [Released!]

I’m super disappointed by this. I have no interest in censored content, that’s not what I subscribe for. The toggle isn’t helpful because it only exists to ensure explicit content doesn’t play at all, not that it forces the radio to favor the explicit version when available. This really needs to be corrected, I’m not interested in having someone else’s values forced on me. It really makes the radio a bit of a drag to listen to, especially when you know the music, the edits can very jarring.

5 Likes

+1

This oversight makes Roon Radio completely useless when listening to any kind of rap music.

Please add an option to always pick the explicit version of an album if two are available. They are even tagged as such on Roon with an “E”.

6 Likes

+1 on this feature request as well. (Not just for radio but a universal Roon setting). Sometimes Roon chooses the correct version in Tidal but often times it chooses the censored version. Explicit should always be the default.

3 Likes

This really should be a feature. There’s some rap songs where the edited version basically has no lyrics. Roon radio is really unreliable with picking the explicit versions. Sometimes it does, other times it’ll pick a censored Jay-Z song. Why on earth would someone listen to censored 99 Problems?

8 Likes

+1 please implement this. It is ridiculous that the default is to censor explicit content and I can’t turn that off. Ruins an otherwise great “radio” experience.

2 Likes

+1 for the option to choose uncensored lyrics only. Art should never be censored.

4 Likes

+1
makes me almost want to ditch roon radio for this and stick with tidal radio in the meantime…

+1 for this feature

1 Like

I’ve wanted this feature for years. Every time I listen to pop or rap Roon Radio is useless. I literally ALWAYS want the explicit album/track unless I specify otherwise. @andybob can we get an update? If the code already filters out the explicit versions is it that difficult to filter out clean versions instead?

2 Likes

+1 for Roon Onlyfans.

Oh wait, wrong thread.

3 Likes

Mods have no involvement in development priorities. Devs haven’t ruled it in or out is all we know.

Ah, my bad. Didn’t realize you were a mod, just saw the staff badge. :stuck_out_tongue: Can we tag someone from product to see if they can prioritize this?

1 Like

Let me see if I can shake the tree. No promises.

1 Like

I know it almost sounds like a joke, but if it would be quick to implement, a reverse “Filter Explicit Content” would be good enough: don’t play any songs that aren’t marked as explicit. It wouldn’t be perfect for everybody (good luck using it with classical music), but it solves the “Roon Radio is bad for rap” problem where 99.9% of the songs you want to hear are explicit.

1 Like

Yeah, I would also love to have this feature. It’s a real disappointment when roon radio picks a great song, but you realise 20 seconds in it’s a version ruined by censorship, or when browsing the library and accidentally picking the wrong version.

The ideal for me would be if roon could just not bring in the censored versions of albums in from Tidal at all, and only have the explicit versions, so that you could never accidentally end up with that version playing.

You would be surprised how much explicit content there is in classical music! Operas like “Così fan Tutte”, “Don Giovanni” and “Le Nozze di Figaro”, and works like “The Rite of Spring” would definitely have “E” ratings if they were performed by people with different backgrounds or from different eras, yet they are accepted as some of the greatest music of all time. And as for just about the entire works of Shakespeare …

I’m reading “+1” posts in this thread. They don’t sway things.

If you want to add your vote - click the Vote button at the top of the thread - that’s what counts as a vote…

1 Like

There really is no way to keep me from being fed the edited versions of streamed albums by default?

I can only vote for it once and now have.

Voted. Super bummed that if I am looking through a discography, I have to select the album and then the Versions to find the right one. Seems very… anti-music and Apple-esque.

2 Likes

Our use case is we have small children who love music, and much of the music they love contains very age-inappropriate lyrical content – but the creators of it usually also produce non-explicit versions. A filter would surely satisfy our need for them to not be listening to stuff that’s beyond their years, AND enable the grown ups in the family to be listening to the version they want. Clearly there would be slippage, but it would be a good start. Leveraging Tidal’s flags would go a long way to fixing things for everyone. Surely not a big ask technically

2 Likes