Default to either "explicit" or censored version of albums/tracks [Released!]

+1 to this request, i hate that roon radio prioritize the censored version, there should be an option to prioritize the explicit version

Why does Roon always select the non-explicit version of rap albums from Tidal?

I understand that some may prefer clean versions, but I want to hear the music as the artist intended.

Can we please have an option to have Roon always select the Explicit version if it’s available?

EDIT: Can someone from Roon please confirm if there are any plans to add this feature? It looks like people have been asking for it for over a year, but I don’t see any responses here from staff.

3 Likes

Adding my Vote

1 Like

Adding my vote

2 Likes

100% agree, please remove “censored” content from Roon radio selections or at least allow the user to toggle it on/off based on their preference. “As the artist intended” should always take priority.

3 Likes

Hi,

So why does this feature need a community vote to gain momentum? This is a premium service, and it’s embarrassing that something so basic is lacking after 2 years. I don’t want to pause my music to choose the explicit album when I realize it’s censored. How much money do I have to throw at you to implement this? That, or open-source your product so competent community members can make it non-sh*t.

Aaron

4 Likes

Somewhere, sometime, Roon developers had to make a choice regarding whether the explicit or censored version would be the default playback. They chose wrong.

Why? One possible reason I can think of, and I don’t know if it’s true, is that it may be a legal issue in some locations Roon serves. Anybody have actual knowledge?

It is certainly a hassle, and completely unworkable in Radio, to have to go into the Versions tab for every album or song and change the preferred version to what it should be by default.

2 Likes

Hey @Brian_Ort

We didn’t choose either way actually. Roon Radio randomly selects either the explicit or clean version, unless you’ve toggled on Filter explicit content in Roon Radio. In that event explicit versions aren’t played. Other than that, totally random.

I want to clarify that primary version settings don’t interact with Roon Radio or play actions at all. (Full disclosure: I think I may have incorrectly said they do at some point on Community)

Primary version mainly determines which album in a group of duplicate albums is not hidden when viewing your Albums page. It works in conjunction with the “show hidden tracks and albums” setting and with our auto-detection of duplicate content. Non-primary = hidden on the albums page, Primary = not hidden on the albums page. I hope this helps to clarify things.

We also want to say that we realize that this is a much-requested feature and it has been discussed internally. One of the challenges is that these tracks aren’t always accompanied by version metadata (clean vs. explicit) which makes tackling implementation more difficult. We’ve heard you and we’re following this thread closely. If you’re in favor please vote. Thanks!

3 Likes

Hi @jamie ,

Thanks for the quick and clear response! I can see how the lack of reliable metadata would make choosing an explicit/censored version difficult to implement.

Given the random selection of clean vs. explicit, I guess I have just been unlucky a few times in a row when my search for an album not already in my library (searching Tidal) produced the clean version.

TBH, I don’t use Radio all that often - I tend to search for and listen to entire albums. Now I know to check my search results before playing to make sure I’m in the uncensored version, and that it’s random which one I’ll get. That’s too bad, but at least I know why (metadata!).

I did vote for this topic, thanks!

+1 for me. I would vote but apparently have no votes left

2 Likes

Another bump from me. JUst started a radio session using Post Malone as a seed and one of the chosen tracks was from Culture III by Migos. Qobuz has 12 versions of this album - only 2 are censored and of course the radio selection chose one of the censored verions. Very frustrating and happens far too often.

2 Likes

Drives me crazy that every time I search for an album not in my library, I have to remember to change over to the explicit version. Of course I never remember to do it and have to stop listening to switch in the middle of a session.

Bump for me. Allow default to explicit when listening to Roon radio.

We have something coming that will address both of these.
11 Likes

Great to hear @mike ! Thank you for the prompt response.

1 Like

This is great news!

This is now live folks :rocket:

11 Likes