Delay in playing songs with different formats (ref#84EKPL)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

I'm having trouble playing music

When I play a song in CD format and that song is followed by another song in CD format the song is played instantly after the first song has stopped but if the next song has another format (24 / 44.1) it can take up to 2 minutes before the song starts to play. This problem occurs whenever the format of the song changes. So when the format changes from 24 / 44.1 to 24 / 48 the waiting time occurs.

My system:
Internetspeed: 500 mb/sec
Router tot Silent Angel Bonn N8 is done by Audioquest Cinnamon Cable.
Streamer: Silent Angel Rhein Z1. v2

Try to set a resync delay for your Roon endpoint device.
A few seconds of waiting time can occur with changing formats, though - but not two minutes…

Thanks Ali for your reply. I did some testing ( from 0 sec up to the max of 10 sec ) but the problem still remains.
Do you have an other suggestion ?

@martin.middelman please post an image of your signal path and check if the device settings for “Max sample rate (PCM)” and "Max bits per sample (PCM) are correct for your streamer.

I also had the problem you have for a very long time and in the end only a completely new Roon database helped me. For whatever reason. Other people were able to solve it by setting the upsampling to “Max PCM rate”. But that didn’t help me at the time.

Is your network stable and are the devices connected via Ethernet?

As far as I know my network is stable. At first I thought that the internet was the problem. the cable company has checked the speed and confirmed that it is 500 mbit/sec.

All internet is done by internet cable.

See the pictures of the signal path and the device setup. It is all in Dutch but I think you’ll get the picture.

Thanks for your help,

Kind regards,

Hi Martin, thank you for the screen shots.
Your network speed should be more than sufficient and the settings look good. I am sorry that I do not have any idea what to check next. Perhaps @support can join us here?

Changing “Buffer size” (Buffergrootte) setting is something you already tested?

Does the delay happen with Qobuz tracks and as well with local files?

Another question: have you ever completely logged out of Qobuz and back in again in the Roon settings for “Services”? I had to do this some time ago, but surprisingly Qobuz was very fast again afterwards.

Hi Uli,

In the meantime I have done some new testing:

Changing “Buffer size” (Buffergrootte) setting is something you already tested? This has no effect at all.

Have you ever completely logged out of Qobuz and back in again in the Roon settings for “Services”? I have done that and this has also no effect.

Does the delay happen with Qobuz tracks and as well with local files? Most of my local files have the format AIFF instead of the Qobuz files which are all in FLAC. As long as the rest of the format (i.e. 16/44.1) is the same there is no problem. If the format changes there is a delay independent of the fact that it is a local file or a Qobuz file.

Yesterday I upgrade my internet speed to 1.000 MB/sec but that also had no effect on the delay. There is a small effect in the rest of Roon. Now the homepage is loaded a bit faster but the overall performance of ROON is quit slow.

Then something else that I noticed: My delay problem occurs in 95 % of the cases when the format of the song changes but in the remaining 5 % things go differently: Sometimes it plays the new format instantly and sometimes when the format is the same there is still a delay.

In one of the earlier chats you mentioned this: I also had the problem you have for a very long time and in the end only a completely new Roon database helped me. How does that work? Does it mean that I have to build a complete new library or can I use my back-up? My library is almost 20.000 songs …

Unfortunately we don’t have a reaction from @support .

Thanks in advance Uli for your reply.

Martin, it’s a shame that all the measures have so far been ineffective. I’m just a fellow Roon user and don’t want to give you the final advice to completely rebuild your Roon library. However, that was what solved the problem for me at the time.
And yes, I started from scratch and didn’t import a backup into the new database. That was a lot of work and also a lot of disappointment, especially as the history is also lost and you have to make a lot of fine adjustments again.

@support should now become active here.
@benjamin you helped me when I had the problem last year, perhaps you can assist here?

Uli, thanks for all your help so far! It is much appreciated!

Is there a way to contact support or Benjamin directly in case they don’t respond to this chat?

Martin, you are most welcome!

Concerning support and ways of contact… I think they work through the queue and will get here at some point. The topic is in “Support” and you submitted the full form. So patience is what we need right now. And that is never easy.

You build a new library from scratch. If the issue is with the database, then any backups you might have might also have the issue.

I also had issues with changing audio formats. Do you use a managed switch between your roon server and the different endpoints?

Hi @martin.middelman, and thank you for the tag @UliR!

Unfortunately, Martin, it appears that you’re using a Rhein Z1 device as a Roon Server, which is an unlicensed device and therefore falls outside the scope of our support. You can read a bit more about that here:

I have moved this thread over to Tinkering where you’re free to talk to other users about this issue. We have a robust community of users who I’m hoping will be able to provide additional insight into your device, and hopefully get you into a smoother transition state!

My apologies here Martin! If you’d like to move to a supported server device, I would be happy to continue troubleshooting.

I think the key is Danny saying, “We recommend you stay away from [Silent Angel].” Return that gear if you can, and replace it with less whizzy but more functional gear. You might also look askance at the dealer who sold it to you, if there’s another dealer in the area.

I was not aware of this. Thank you for the clarification.

NO there is no switch between the Rhein en my ROON endpoint. The connection is directly via USB. There is a ethernet switch before the Rhein (silent Bonn N 8)

Ok Benjamin but I am really surprised because the Rhein was sold to me as a fully ROON compatible streamer. If I take a look at their website they say that it is a ROON core.

Suppose my dealer will take the Rhein back and I buy another streamer can I use my backup to activate the new streamer or do I have the same problem?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.