Deleted albums persist in catalogue

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Linux mercury 5.1.16-200.fc29.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Jul 3 16:03:17 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Roon Version 1.6 (Build 416) stable (64bit)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Wired gigabit Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Not relevant

Description Of Issue

My Roon core contains a mirror of my music files from my desktop Mac. I sychronise the file system on the core so that when I delete an album on the desktop, it gets deleted on the core. This worked fine for a long time but more recently the albums do not always get deleted from the Roon catalogue. I have to delete them manually from Roon. If I try to play one of these albums, I get a cannot be found error in Roon. Help!

Hi @pwright92,

Can you confirm that, for one of the albums exhibiting the issue, when you look at the files on the Core machine that they are actually deleted?

I just ran a test. The albums delete properly when I am deleting from a filesystem. If I delete an album in iTunes, they do not delete out of Roon. My iTunes filesystem is mirrored to the Roon server using Chronosync and I have added it as an iTunes library. The steps I took were:

1. Fire up iTunes
  2. Delete an album
  3. Confirm it is deleted from the Mac filesystem, it is.
  4. Sync with the Roon server
  5. Confirm it is deleted from the Linux filesystem, it is.
  6. Confirm it is deleted in Roon, it isn’t.

Hi @pwright92,

If you rescan the watched folder does it update so that this album is deleted in Roon?

I shut the server down every night for backups. I believe that a re-scan is forced when the server restarts. Is that correct?

Hi @pwright92,

Even after a server shutdown or manually rescanning the album is still there?

That is correct. I have forced a rescan and also rebooted the server with no change

Thanks, @pwright92.

Moving forward, I’d like to enable diagnostics so the team can take a look. First, I was hoping you could reproduce this issue by doing the following:

• Delete an album — make a note of which album is deleted
  • Force a rescan in Roon — make a note of the time that you do this
  • Navigate to the album and press play — make a note of the time you do this

Respond here with the above information and diagnostics will be enabled.

Done, screen captures:

Thanks @pwright92 — I’ll enable diagnostics now that I have this information. Do you have the times that you did this as mentioned above as well?

I did them shortly before the posting time - about 2-3 minutes at most.

Hi @pwright92,

I spoke with the team about their investigation and wanted to follow up with you. The diagnostics report was, unfortunately, not of much use here, but they did provide a clue to what may be occurring.

The standard diagnostics files we would typically see in the report were missing, so we couldn’t get any insight into what was happening in Roon. In its place is a file called .heim_org.h5l.kcm-socket.

The team did some investigating into this, and this file appears to be related to SSSD (System Security Services Daemon). Generally speaking, it appears that SSSD on your machine is set up in a way that is creating these socket files in different directories (including the Roon directories) where they should not be.

Moving forward, SSSD needs to be set up in a way that does not do this, and any of these files that are appearing in the Roon directory need to be removed. Once this is done it is likely that this will resolve issues and, if you’re still seeing problems, we will at least be able to properly troubleshoot them with our diagnostics tools.

I checked if there was anything using SSSD and there wasn’t, so I just uninstalled SSSD and rebooted. The problem persists…

Hi @pwright92,

Are there any files like the one mentioned above in the Roon directory? .heim_org.h5l.kcm-socket.

I could not find any files with heim in the name under /var/roon or in the library directory

they are . prefixed so would not be visible unless you exposing all hidden files which can be tone in terminal on a Mac using a command…which might be dependant on the OS version. Google is your friend

Since the release of macOS Sierra, when in Finder, it is now possible to use the shortcut:

CMD + SHIFT + .

Press once to show hidden files and again to hide them. If you’re using a version earlier than macOS Sierra, see Show/Hide Hidden Files using Terminal Aliases to setup a toggle command via terminal.

I went in on the Fedora side and ran ls -Rla . in the two directories with a grep heim

Hi @pwright92,

I was hoping you could use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link.

I clear my logs on reboot but one of these should have the latest iTunes delete of Keb Mo: