Denafrips Ares II

Roon Core Machine

Windows 10 App as server
i9-9900 32GB RAM SSD

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Wired to switch to NAS. Gigabit all the way

Connected Audio Devices

Main PC connected to Denafrips Ares II via USB using the ASIO drivers.

Library Size

Description of Issue

I’m unable to provide all of the details supported by my DAC. As it is not a device with is natively recognised I have to select options from a list which end well before the maximum capability of PCM and DSD bitrates.

Is this not allowing the DAC to do its thing or is the Roon steaming/transport in the way?

If you are referring to DSD1024 or PCM1536, Roon doesn’t (yet) support those.

1 Like

Yep, that’s it. You have max like you post here. I use the same DAC, if you want more, you have to instal HQPlayer.

BTW When Roon support > PCM768/DSD512? @danny

1 Like

Yes, you will need to use HQPlayer and also check your ARES II firmware version.
They removed PCM1536 and DSD1024 in latest version becouse of issues with Apple devices.

FIRMWARE LOG

V3.3.2

• Original firmware

V3.3.5

• Increase USB resync time to address USB out-of-sync issue

• Supports PCM1536 / DSD1024

V3.4.1

• Fixed compatibility issue with macOS

• PCM1536 / DSD1024 supports disabled

( https://www.denafrips.com/firmware-update-usb )

1 Like

Yes that is it. Thanks for clarifying.

1 Like

I guess I’ll need to look into this, not important as I do not have anything in that native format. Wonder how HQPlayer fits into the equation if Roon does not support the upper end of the spectrum. I’m trialing this along with JRiver which seems to play well with the native features of the DAC and up-sampling seems to work too. Same the library management isn’t up to par.

Yep thanks. I recall reading this online. My question was in relation to the native settings in roon which was answered by XXX, but thanks for your input.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.