Denon Home 150/250/350 Speakers are now Roon Ready

Because they will sync play with other none Denon devices that are Roon Ready, sync play via RAAT is more stable than Airplay sync. You get the full picture of what’s going on.

Yep that is true. Issue lies with the home speakers in terms of full sample rates. Misleading but then again these are pretty dummied down end points.

Ask Denon. Denon is the one that updated its firmware and sought Roon Ready certification. Not the other way around.

AJ

I agree, it’s a Denon issue.

hmmm…not as excited as I thought I would be with the limited support. Waiting for the rest of the HEOS device family to come online… In the meantime, RHEOS is still delivering hires roon on my system.

1 Like

It is sending hi res but the speakers are still downsampling.

Squeeze player does not give feedback to the roonserver like raat.

Plus squeezeplayer is not officially supported by Roon.

The Model 40s will not be downsampling as AVRs.

1 Like

Support for the Denon speakers isn’t limited if’s doing exactly what the Denon does under the hood. HEOS doesn’t show you what it does nor DOES RHEOS for that matter as it has no eyes on what happens after the signal reaches the machine. The model 40n wont do this as it has no DSP it’s a pure analogue amplifier with a streaming board. It will operate like the SACD30n. The Home speakers all have DSP that is limited to a specific rate and Roon shows this. All part of the Roon Ready Spec. Roon isn’t doing anything here it’s the speaker downsampling after it receives the hires input to be able to process it and you hear it.

2 Likes

Tricky wording on the Denon specs. Says it can accept a hires format but doesn’t say it can process it. Very misleading…

That is all too common in audio devices. That is why you have to research exactly what a product does if you care. Take Chord products, other than the Dave, they can ACCEPT native DSD incoming, but, immediately turn it into PCM and process it as PCM. But, so many believe it is actually playing DSD native because that is what it accepts, yet it is not.

Yes, this is a common misunderstanding. Here’s what Rob Watts says about Chord DACs (emphasis mine):

The confusion here is that there are two types of native DSD. There is the conversion to analogue, where you take the DSD bit-stream and essentially low pass filter it - so called native DSD conversion - with all the SQ and measurement problems this entails as I discussed above.

The second meaning of native DSD concerns not the method to convert to analogue, but the method to get the data to the DAC

Of course, you don’t buy Chord DACs if you have a large SACD/DSD collection; their sweet spot is Red Book.

Moreover, this is common across many devices. For instance, Hegel converts everything to something like 105 kHz PCM (or thereabouts), and I think Cambridge Audio does something similar, albeit at a more conventional sample rate.

Typically, what you see displayed is what’s received on the input. As far as I am aware, no DAC outputs PCM or DSD.:slight_smile:

Only on legacy kit. New stuff doesn’t do this as it uses more modern DAC architecture.

1 Like

Do you think that Denon/Marantz is likely to add Roon Ready support for the 40n?

Yes it’s an up to date model.‘I don’t see why not. Each device has to get its own certification and pass all tests. Roon has had staff shortages in the testing area for a long time to and to test the large range of HEOS stuff will take time.

1 Like

How about the Marantz AV10? It’s pretty modern…