Determining RAM size of Nucleus

Roon Server Machine

Nucleus

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

How do I query how much RAM is in my Nucleus? I remember adding memory to my Nucleus but cannot remember how much.

The performance of my Nucleus is now so slow I am thinking of abandoning the whole platform and go back to a more transparent./expandable platform like Mac or PC.

Roon have repeatedly stated that if your ROCK/Nucleus is not crashing, then it has enough RAM (the OS does not swap out to disk). Some users have reported a different experience however after upgrading RAM, but as this involves a reboot it is difficult to be sure.

You have supplied no other system details. The problem is likely elsewhere in the system.

1 Like

Networking Gear & Setup Details:

• Nucleus with 8TB Samsung SSD
  • CAT6 connected with Cisco SD2008 6 port unmanaged switch

Connected Audio Devices

• dCS Bartok DAC

Number of Tracks in Library

• 117,402 tracks

Description of Issue

• Extremely slow access
  • Playback often takes up to a minute sometimes more to start after click
  • Navigation and Search also takes 10’s of seconds, sometimes more

I understand the large number of tracks may be an issue.

You are reaching the max number of tracks that‘s recommended for a Nucleus.

The library structure also has an influence (lots of unidentified albums? Artists with 100+ albums in an artist folder? Artists with 1000+ tracks? Roon tags applied to 1000+ items?). RoonLabs is working on improvements for these cases but we don’t know how long it will take and how big the improvement can be.

So, all things considered, you may need faster hardware. Upgrading the RAM won’t make your Nucleus faster as stated above.

Roon need to look at your logs to determine the issue. I have a 6 year old 7i7 NUC running ROCK with 16GB ram and 145k tracks. No slowdown issues. Tracks are stored externally on two USB drives.

As stated above, directory structure and excessive tag use can have an impact on performance. As a start to diagnose the issue I would start with a fresh database and baseline the performance with that. Backup first of course so you can restore if needed.

Hi @agentsmith ,

I enabled diagnostics for your account and I see that you have 32GB of RAM available.

This is correct, we are investigating a few improvements in this area. Once these improvements are released, let’s please circle back and see if they helped in your case as well.

Hi @agentsmith,

We’ve released the performance improvements mentioned by my colleagues above with the most recent build.

How has your RoonServer machine been performing in the last few days? Have the same symptoms been recurring?

We’ll use these reports to target remaining vulnerabilities in upcoming releases, so we invite you to be candid.

1 Like

Hi,

thanks for following up

I have not used it much due to travelling, but I did notice marked improvements in searching.

Playback and Pause is still laggy at times, but much better than before which often took a minute or two just to start playing, and sometimes not at all.

This is just some preliminary observations. I will try again in the next few days. After this week I will be travelling for a few momths so will not be able to access.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 45 days. New replies are no longer allowed.