I’m in sub-tropical Australia and that means our storm season is starting so over the last week or so I’ve had to disconnect everything during thunderstorms and reconnect to power and restart everything again several times. I’ve had a couple of occasions since I’ve had to start doing this again where for some reason the Devialet seems to “drop from sight” as far as Roon is concerned, playback stops, the Devialet stops showing as Roon Ready in the audio settings, but it still shows as and endpoint for AIR. I had the same problem 8-9 months ago when we had a run of storms at the end of our storm season. Turning the Devialet off and then back on again seems to fix the problem but it can and does recur and it seemed to disappear earlier in the year when I stopped having to disconnect the system from power.
The last time it happened a couple of days ago, it happened about a day after the previous occurrence and I turned the Devialet off, restarted, and everything worked fine but sounded slightly less nice than usual. I checked my settings again to see if I could see anything that might be relevant, given that I’d recently installed the new firmware update from Devialet and the latest update from Roon. I noticed this setting and, out of curiosity, I reset the Roon device settings to default. The MQA support setting was the only setting that changed. I thought things sounded normal, that is better than they had been sounding, after resetting the settings to default (I didn’t turn the amp off after doing it) but I wasn’t certain so I changed the setting back to No MQA support and while I didn’t hear a difference to the sound a few moments before with the default setting, I still thought that things sounded better than they did before I reverted to the default settings.
OK, I didn’t think I was hearing a big difference, I wasn’t totally sure there was a difference and I definitely hadn’t been expecting to hear one, but I was left with a lingering question because it seemed odd that restoring the default settings seemed to make a difference but if it did, then swapping back to Renderer Only should also have made a difference.
I’m more confident that resetting the device settings to default made a difference but then we know that sometimes rebooting a computer fixes a problem when something has got corrupted in RAM so maybe that’s what happened here but, as I said, it has left me wondering. My point about the ethernet speed is that if files streamed from Roon via AIR at gigabit speed didn’t suffer from the “audio file loading slowly” and the amp could handle gigabit speeds for AIR, why should it behave differently with RAAT? That doesn’t make sense but using a non-gigabit connection eliminated the problem with RAAT for many. Likewise, resetting the MQA support setting to No MQA support instead of the default shouldn’t make a difference but while I’m not certain doing that made a difference, I keep having the feeling that it did change something. That leaves me wondering whether this setting has some benefit even though it shouldn’t or whether what I did just cleaned a corrupt setting out of RAM and restored an uncorrupt version of the same setting.
I’m probably just paranoid about Devialet after 20 months of waiting for a fix for the audio file loading slowly problem only to still see some people saying that the new firmware hasn’t fixed that for them and also seeing people reporting issues with having SAM on reducing the number of filters they can use in Sweet Room (I’m not using either). I’m probably just starting to doubt Devialet’s firmware but I figured I may as well ask the stupid question and see if it gets an answer that is not the one we should expect.