Devialet stutters then stops

Hi,

So this was me back in 2017: Devialet stutters and then stops.

Found Roon interesting then but couldn’t get it stable and no-one seemed able to find a solution so I gave up and cancelled my free trial. Two years on and I thought I’d see if the software has progressed and the problem is fixed. Also my computer hardware setup is now different. Have tried the free trial again over past two weeks and things seemed to have improved so I’ve paid my annual subscription today. However, the same old problems seem to be reappearing but intermittently. Had one or two occasions during the free trial when the stuttering was evident again but quite a few other days when I got no problems at all. Today having issues though, so let’s try support again.

Right here goes…

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Brand new desktop PC Intel Core i3 (8th gen quad core), Windows 10, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD. Roon 1.6 build 401. PC connected via wireless. PC does nothing else at the moment, Roon has been its only purpose so far.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Wireless network, Virginmedia Superhub 2 in modem only mode, Netgear Orbi mesh WiFi.

Music files on Synology DS213j.
Only 436 albums in library so small.

Audio Devices (Specify connection type - USB/HDMI/ect.)

Devialet Expert 200 connected to WiFi.

Issue description

Intermittent fault where music will stutter and then stop permanently until I select another track, and will often then get Audio device in use message.

I really hope we can get this sorted out this time - really enjoy Roon when it works.

Thanks.

Jonathan

You should try connecting at lest one device, server or renderer, with a network cable, ideally both.

Ok thanks, will try that.

Hi @Jonathan_Waller1,

As Mike suggested here, I would try connecting your Deivalet via Ethernet as a temporary test, if things are stable over Ethernet then we know to take a closer look at the WiFi connection. Can you please also confirm which type of connection you are making to the Devialet? Is it Devialet Air or Roon Ready?

Thanks,
Noris

Tried switching to Ethernet via high speed homeplugs last night. Played for a couple of hours with no problems so looks promising. Will keep on testing.

I’m using the Roon implementation of Air. Don’t have the CI board so not using Roon Ready.

Hi @Jonathan_Waller1,

Glad to hear that things are more stable after switching to Ethernet. Just so you’re aware, we have had reports of issues with powerline adapters such as the homeplugs you mention. It is always best to have a dedicated Ethernet connection to the router and then use unmanaged switches to split up the connection at the other end if more ports are needed. Do keep me posted if things are still stable after a few days.

Thanks,
Noris

Ok now tried a few listening sessions with the powerline adaptors. This seems to have fixed the problem. Music playback is now stable and sounding wonderful. So I’m very happy!

Thanks for the advice.

Jonathan

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.