Device does not automatically reconnect to CXA81 using Roon Bridge for Raspberry Pi

Roon Core Machine

iMac, 3.1 GHz 6-Core Intel i5, 40GB RAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Linksys WiFi
Raspberry Pi 4, 4GB

Connected Audio Devices

Cambridge Audio CXA81 via USB to the Raspberry Pi

Number of Tracks in Library

~20,000

Description of Issue

When I turn the CXA81 back on after it has been on standby, Roon does not automatically reconnect to it. Instead, I need to go to Settings → Audio and then click the Scan for Devices icon in order for it to reconnect. Is there a way to get Roon to automatically reconnect without going through these steps every time? (This issue does not occur when connecting to a Fiio M6 via USB using the same Raspberry Pi.)

Instead of letting it go to standby mode, try turning the cambridge OFF. And then when you want to use it next turn it ON. Does Roon see it, or even after turning it on and off do you need to do a rescan?

Thanks for the suggestion. But Standby is essentially the off button for this device and the manufacturer recommends keeping it in standby mode when not in use.

Not much you can do if that’s the way the USB bus works on the device. Ropieee Os for the Pi has something called dynamic power management in its audio section for usb it might be worth trying as it might be part of this. Only guessing but doesn’t harm to try it.

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.13/driver-api/usb/power-management.html

Thanks for the response and link. One thing to add that I forgot to mention in my initial post: When the device is in standby mode, Roon doesn’t show it at all in the list of devices in the Audio section of the Settings. But when it is on, Roon shows it but doesn’t automatically connect. It says, “Device not found.” I then need to click the “Scan for devices” icon. This is why I think the issue may be on Roon’s end. The CXA81 is a fairly popular device. So I’d be surprised if this hasn’t come up before.

Then why not use the search to find other users solution, instead of creating a new thread for the same question again? Search results for 'CXA81' - Roon Labs Community

In short: Don’t put the CXA81 into standby if you want UAC2 else set it to UAC1 mode. Demand from Cambridge that they fix their broken/incompatible UAC2 implementation.

Thanks for flagging that one. I didn’t see that post when I searched earlier, but it nevertheless doesn’t appear to address my particular situation. That post says that Roon only connects intermittently and disconnects after a few seconds. My device stays connected just fine without any problems so long as I don’t turn it off (i.e., put in standby). I did try putting the CXA into USB Audio Class 1 mode to see if it would resolve my issue. Unfortunately, it not.

I’m hoping someone from Roon can hop in when they have time to help troubleshoot this one. My Roon sees the device once I turn it back on and it reconnects without a hitch once I click the rescan button. The question is why Roon isn’t just automatically reconnecting to the CXA without me needing to go through those extra steps, and if there is something I can do in the settings or elsewhere to address the issue or if this might even be a bug that needs to be filed.

So you’ve already proven that Roon is not the problem. It seems unlikely that Roon Labs support can fix the USB implementation of your CXA81. If you want to wait for a response anyway take a long breath (14+ days).

What OS are you using on your PI? Maybe you can do better there? If you use Ropieee, post in the Ropieee section of the forum (or move the thread over there). If not, maybe give it a try as it’s developer seems to have some experience with your device already.

1 Like

I appreciate the quick replies, BlackJack. I was thinking that the Fiio M6 worked OK because it generally just stays on and doesn’t really have a standby mode, but you may be right.

On my Pi, I’m just using Raspbian (Bullseye). I had followed the installation instructions from Roon here. I’ll give Ropieee a try as you suggested to see if that that addresses the issue.

2 Likes

I installed Ubuntu instead of Raspbian and that seemed to do the trick. Roon is now automatically recognizing the device after it is turned on again.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.