Device vs Fixed Volume

macOS 10.14.5/Roon 1.6 Build 416 @support

I have Kef LS 50 Wireless speakers connected via ethernet , as is my Mac. Despite reading the descriptions several times in other posts, I still do not understand what- with respect to the LS50’s, device vs fixed volume settings actually mean.

I think I had it set to fixed volume for a period of time, and then in settings, I restored defaults particular to the LS 50’s. I’m not sure what that means when using Roon to play music, what it may mean if I switch to using Sonos input to the speakers.

Would you mind explaining the difference i to clarify it for me? Thanks! @support

I meant to note that when I restored setting to default, it went to device settings. @support

Hi @Bob_Weinstein,

Device Volume — Causes Roon to pass volume commands on to your device via the device’s driver. Exactly what happens next varies from device to device. If your device advertises a high-quality volume control over USB, it’s likely that this is the setting that you want.

Fixed Volume — Disables volume control from within Roon, sending a fixed-level output signal to the audio device. Use this setting if you plan to control volume elsewhere–for instance, on your pre-amplifier or AV receiver.

Dylan: Thank you. I still don’t quite get it. Perhaps you can tell me what that means with respect to LS 50 wireless, which as you know have built in amps. If set to fixed volume, what happens? If set to device volume, what happens? As I noted, when I happened to hit restore to defaults, the setting shows device volume (I think I may have had it set to fixed). I imagine that is what Roon recommends for these speakers. If you could try explaining the difference for me- including what I would notice if increasing/decreasing volume from within Roon, I’d appreciate it. Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.